3 phase method for dynamic blind assessment

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate the impact of having automated blinds in a floor of an office building in therms of daylight and then for energy consumption. I am starting with the three phase method but I can´t make it run succesfully. I´ve been reading the tutorials but it gets a bit confusing. I am not even sure if I should be using the 5 phase method instead. Does anyone have a word of advise please?.

OfficeFloor_3Phase.gh (844.0 KB)

Hi @LUISARTUROREYESVALEN,

1. What is the problem when you try to set up 3-phase?
  2. Why don’t you use the daylight coefficient recipe? It does give you the same options for dynamic blinds.

I tried the daylight coefficient image based first to check glare probability but the result files came empty . So I kept using the legacy components while I could figure out what went wrong. Then I moved to the 3 phase method and after running the simulation, result files came out empty again. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ll try the grid based daylight coefficient then.

Also on a similar topic, is there a way to create more than one daylight sensor for an energy simulation?. I’m trying to see the difference between several glass option with VLTs ranging from 0.22 to 0.47 and my electric lighting loads come out pretty much equal to each other.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Hello @mostapha
Following up your suggestion I´ve been trying to run the daylight coefficient simulation for an office level. But while running it gives me messages saying “rcontrib.exe has stopped working” several times and then after the simulation finishes the error log says that results can´t be loaded from an empty file. The office level has two diferent kinds of windows (Laminated in the corners and IGU elsewhere) all arround. I am assigning each type of window to a window group. I also have interior translucent partitions which I am simulating as side windows. I tried simulating without forniture and I´ve been checking the normals of all the surfaces. I don´t know what I´m doing wrong. Do you have any suggestions?. I am attaching images and the gh definition.

Thanks in advance.
Arturo

2017_27_11_daylight_coefficient_gridbased.gh (588.0 KB)

Can you just do a quick version check on your Radiance installation and report it back. Open command prompt and type rcontrib -version and press enter.
exe

That’s not an issue with Honeybee[+]. You need to updated your Radiance installation.

Thank you @mostapha and @sarith

My bad. Updated and running!.
Thank you very much.

rad