Perforated material HB [+]

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to use the same perforated material I was using in Honey Bee, but following the logic of the post: Material definition (Trans, BRTDfunc..) in Honeybee +

As I understood that I cannot connect it as it was connected in the previous version, directly as a panel in RADmaterial_ I’m pretty sure I’m writing something wrong in the python because it’s not working.

Hope you can help me and thanks in advance.

perforated_HBplus.gh (11.4 KB)

I hope you haven’t recently uploaded your installation as that will break a number of components but if you’re using the version from Food4Rhino can you share a screenshot of the problem. That way it will be much easier to help.

I’m using the version 0.0.04 which is on Food4Rhino, the problem is that I don’t have results for annual and I just tried with the grid and then it shows me an issue, if I use the material example you post this happen:

But when I connect that one I made using the mixfunc it appears as it is running the analysis but at the end this is the result:

So I’m not sure what is the problem, can it be a misunderstanding of “mixedfunc” for HB[+] and “mixfunc” for Radiance?

That’s a bug:

It should be mixfunc instead of mixedfun. You can edit the file that is referenced in the topic manually and that should fix the issue.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I’ve very recently started with Honeybee [+] as I intend to simulate a perforate screen facade. I have tried everything but nothing works, only the .cal material for honeybee Legacy, but as I understood the surface won’t take into account the different indecent flux angles, so I want to make the model as accurate as possible. At the same time, I was thinking of dividing the perforated panels into different parts, so each part corresponds to a different hole area percentage, so it will make the modeling and simulations easier, in this case, the panel will be divided into three parts.
My question is, how to model this perforate material in honeybee [+], what is the most straightforward strategy to generate the .xml file, I’ve tried to generate it with window 7.6 with no success
I hope I explain myself properly. Thanks!
xml file

What went wrong with the your attempt with Window 7.6?

Firstly I tried to make it rectangular which is really what I want from the beginning. While adding the dimensions a warning window popped up saying I have to use values between 1-0, but It doesn’t specify where, thereby I decided to use circular instead, and it worked apparently. Secondly, to run the calculation I have to import it into the window system, another error popped up as shown in the attached image. Furthermore, I cannot import solely the perforated screen in Honeybee and it has to be part of a glazing system.
And the last but not least, when I import the circular holes perforate screen .xml file into the BSDF material and run an image-based simulation to see if it worked out, the image seems to not have windows at all. And I am not sure what I am doing wrong. It is the first time I try to model a BSDF material.

Sorry for the poor explanation, I am still getting used to the technical vocabulary.

Which version of winwow are you running? I have version 7.7.7.0 dated 05/13/19. This does not have rectangular perforated screens.

The circular perforated screens run fine at my end without errors as you reported.

BSDF will not give you any visual feedback. This is not an error. You should model the geometry and also use the BSDF for scattering distribution. That should give you some relevant results.

1 Like

Solved, apparently was a compatibility issue. The current HB [+] version only reads .xml files generated from window 7.6 and not 7.7. Now it worked. Thanks anyway
And for what I’ve seen, window 7.7 allows making rectangular perforated

screens.

Because I just need to apply the perforate screen independently from the glazing I have created a very thing glass layer that is completely transparent to Tvis and Tsol, but when I loaded to HB this error pops up, does anybody knows why?

Thanks

Hi Blanca,
I am facing a similar issue, I have a perforated mesh in the south facade. The idea is to use HB+ to make the annual simulations and save some time. I have manage to create the mixedfunc materials for each of the perforated panels.

But when I run the simulation, it only works with ASE result visualization and reports an error in read annual results. I don’t understand what I am doing wrong.

Have you had the same problem?, if so, how did you solve it?
Best,

Julio

Hi Julio, I’m trying something similar and I was wondering how did you manage to create the .rad material and the .cal file

Hi Claudio,
I end up using this method from Hydrashare
http://hydrashare.github.io/hydra/viewer?owner=mostaphaRoudsari&fork=hydra_1&id=Perforated_mesh&slide=0&scale=1&offset=0,0

You can modify the radius and the distance between centers to create any kind of perforated screen.
Best regards,
Julio

thank you, that’s very clear

1 Like