Rhino 6 BETA & THERM components issue

I am having issues with the THERM coments when I use Rhino 6.

I went back to the THERM Export Workflow example to trouble shoot. The example works fine in Rhino 5 but when I try to run it in Rhino BETA the Honeybee write THERM file component fails:

1. Your simulation did not run correctly because of the following error:
    The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. Regenerating Boundary Conditions may correct this in some cases.The geometry contains overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. ID(s): 12There are materials that lie outside of the Boundary ConditionsModel geometry and Boundary Conditions need to be properly defined before a calculation can be performed.

The geometry seems fine nothing is highlighted in red and it runs fine in Rhino 5.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Jonny

Hi @JonathanStory, The only difference that I can think of is different tolerance in documents otherwise the result should be identical.

@chris thoughts?

That warning is one that is generated by Therm so this means that it got past all of the Rhino-based checks inside the components without any issues. My guess is that it is related to the tolerance or units as @mostapha suggests. What tolerance and units are you using?

OK so it seems like I am missing something fairly simple, but can’t figure it out.
Which tolerance and units should I be checking?

The Rhino settings are the same between both versions.

But when I compare the .thmx files which are output it is clear there is a difference in the nuber of decimal places used.

Rhion 5 on left Rhino BETA on right.

Thanks
Jonny

@JonathanStory ,
This is very odd indeed. I’m trying to get a copy of Rhino 6 so that I can see this myself. It looks like the issue might actually be in the copy of ironPython that Rhino 6 is running since it’s adding all of these extra 0’s when we use the python round() function.

I was able to recreate the issue and it seems the issue is not with the tolerance. The order of vertices in all of the Rhino 6 polygons is reversed for some reason. This is going to take some time for me to investigate but I’ll try to have this addressed before the next release.

I just pushed a fix for this issue:

It’s a hacky solution but it gets the job done. So, if you sync with the github, the THERM workflow should now run without issues in Rhino 6.

When I re-write the THERM workflow for HB+, I’ll have to make sure that I am not as dependent on Rhinocommon.

Thanks for finding and reporting this issue @JonathanStory !

I have the same problem but this time I have this problem in rhino 7 and the error doesn’t give an explicit message what problem happened?
after finding this post I find my problem is the version of rhino !!!

1. Your simulation did not run correctly because of the following error:
    The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. Regenerating Boundary Conditions may correct this in some cases.The geometry contains overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. ID(s): 12There are materials that lie outside of the Boundary ConditionsModel geometry and Boundary Conditions need to be properly defined before a calculation can be performed.

@JonathanStory thanks Bro.

Hi @chris,

I got the same issue when I run your THERM examples from Hydra using Rhino 7. Is it possible for a HB update which fixes this issue in Rhino 7?

Thanks,
Cong

Any advice for Rhino 7 Ladybug Tools 1.2.0, Hydra therm example is giving the same error "1. Your simulation did not run correctly because of the following error:

The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. Regenerating Boundary Conditions may correct this in some cases.The geometry contains overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. ID(s): 12There are materials that lie outside of the Boundary ConditionsModel geometry and Boundary Conditions need to be properly defined before a calculation can be performed."

I’m trying to follow the example on the Envelope Design with THERM from the web page academy but I got this error.

Any clues??

@Sobrado ,

That is an error message that is generated by THERM and it’s not on the Rhino/Grasshopper side. Are you sure that you are using THERM 7.6 ( Released: November 17, 2017) and not any of the newer versions? The legacy honeybee THERM components only work with THERM 7.6.

Actually, it was pretty easy to see what the issue was and I just pushed a fix:

So using the latest legacy version of the THERM components (which you can get with the “Ladybug_Update Ladybug” component) should be able to produce valid results in Rhino 7:

I am thinking that I’ll get to implementing a more stable version of the THERM components for LBT in a few months. Hopefully, this fix tides you over until them.

Have folks had luck getting Rhino 7 to work with THERM 7.6?

I’ve tried going through the steps outlined in this thread, but continue to get the same error copied below. I’ve used the LB Versioner component and have attempted to update to an older version 0.0.65 and the newest version 1.3.23.

Is there a different component I should attempt to use? If, so which one and what version is best?

“1. Your simulation did not run correctly because of the following error:
The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. Regenerating Boundary Conditions may correct this in some cases.The geometry contains overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. ID(s): 12There are materials that lie outside of the Boundary ConditionsModel geometry and Boundary Conditions need to be properly defined before a calculation can be performed.”

Legacy LBT THERM components don’t currently work with Rh7

THERM is closed source and a good bit harder to work with than E+/OS etc.

I personally; if you have a R7 license; than on the McNeel website you can get access to R6 via your R7 license:
That’s is what I do personally.
I hate THERM… but when I have to THERM: I do it in R6 via the legacy LBT kit, but right now: Doesn’t work with R7.

see https://discourse.ladybug.tools/t/does-therm-is-still-available-in-new-ladybug-tools-thx/15988

Hello,
I am getting the same warning as is being described in this thread - geometry contains voids or overlapping regions.

You say you have published a patch, but I don’t understand how to install it?

You say “sync with github”, but I go on the website and it is unclear what needs to be downloaded.

Is there a new file on that website that I should install? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank you for the support and the work you have done on this plugin (for free), it is very much appreciated.

-Matthew