Shadow studies for interior of a space

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and to Ladybug! I love the tool and slowly working my way through tutorials.
However, I need to assess the requirement for vertical baffles in an atrium space based on how much of the sun it is blocking or letting through. I think the best way to do this is look at a shadow study over a certain day (picking Dec 21st because of the low angled sun). I have followed the Shadow Analysis Study example file and tutorial but I can’t get it to work for the interior of the atrium space. I need to look at the shadows hitting the hanging baffle and interior wall.
Has anyone looked into this before? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Celia

1 Like

Hi @celiahoag,

Interior example is no different. You only need to make sure the normal direction of test surfaces are facing inwards and do not include transparent surfaces in the simulation. Here is a sample file:

indoor_sunlight_hours.gh (401.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi Mostapha,
Thanks so much for your reply and the example file. It has helped greatly.
This shadow study looks at the shadows cast on a surface over the course of a day.
I wonder if there is a way to look at the shadows case each hour separately? I would like to send a snapshot to an architect of 4 specific hours in the day (in December when the sun is creating a lot of direct sunlight in the space).
When I just look at a specific time the result is all blue because it sees the number of sunlight hours as less than 1 hour etc.
Do you have any idea how to adjust for specific point in time shadow study?
Appreciate your help!
Celia

@celiahoag

As Mostapha mentioned that need to make sure of the normal direction of the test surfaces. One of the surfaces faces outward and needs to be flipped. Please have a look to the attached file.

indoor_sunlight_hours_Alsh.gh (766.0 KB)

1 Like