Analyzing thermal conditions inside a room of a building, taking into account the presence of a “translucent facade membrane”

Hi everyone

Currently, I´m doing an exercise about analyzing thermal conditions inside a room of a building, taking into account the presence of a “translucent facade membrane” as a shade object and how it affects the inside temperature of the room.

I tried to model and set the membrane according to real construction specifications. The room does not have heating or cooling systems.

The results regarding the radiance values are as expected, however, the inside temperature seems like it is almost not affected by the presence of the membrane.

Could anyone give me a hand with this, please?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged: @chris

Hi @JorgeGF,

Are you able to share the script / model?

My first question would be what were you expecting to see? And then work backwards from that to interrogate why it’s not giving the answer you expect, diving into the different factors - such as breaking down the gains, checking aspects of the model set up, considering weather etc.

1 Like

In addition to @charlie.brooker 's comment i need to say that i was a bit confused with the results images (i.e. radiation, illuminance, etc). Then i noticed that the scales in the comparison are not the same. I’m sure you are aware of that, @JorgeGF , but just in case.

-A.

1 Like

Hi @charlie.brooker thanks for your response, it made me think and refine my definition. Since the location of the exercise is Seville (Spain), well known for its hot summer. A common action among the locals is to place shades on windows to minimize the direct influence of the sun and reduce the inside temperature of a room.
The idea is to use this basic concept and extrapolate it to the facade which is exposed to the direct action of the sun, using a textile membrane as a shaded object and then see the temperature difference. Taking into account that the membrane will be placed on an auxiliary support system with a certain separation from the facade surface

In my previous definition, I placed a single room completely exposed to the action of the sun, however, I decided to place the building among other buildings (like a usual urban display).
Additionally, I was using a period of time a complete year, so I decided to limit the analysis specifically to one date and an hour.
Also, as @AbrahamYezioro mentioned, I modified the scales to see more clearly the effects.

I attached the script.

Thank you very much in advance.

Membrane_script.gh (427.0 KB)

Hi @chris, I´m still stuck. Do you have any suggestions for this topic?
I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Hi @JorgeGF ,

Your file has too much in it for me to know what part you want us to focus on. The result in your original screenshot looks correct to me and it is what I would expect the operative temperature at 7PM to look like since this is after the sun has stopped shining on the south-facing façade you are modelling. If you want to see a big change in the indoor operative temperature, you should be looking at the parts of the day when the sun is shining on the façade.

If there’s something else that you are stuck on, please elaborate and upload a minimal sample file that shows what you want us to look at.

1 Like