Bonce from surface tool

Hi everyone,

I’m currently doing urban design analysis focusing on solar reflection from building glazing using “the bounce from surface” tool which is found in the Rhino Grasshopper plugin. I have no background in coding, but I have managed to use the existing tool by replacing my 3D model in the context and displayed the reflected solar vectors. Now, I want to do a time-step simulation to finish my research, but I don’t know how to do that. Help, please :slight_smile:

It will be easier to help if you share your script.

If you want to animate the results for each timestep, you should generate the hours one at a time using sunpath.

If you want to change the timestep, sunpath component has an input for that.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast response Mostapha :slight_smile: I have already plugged in a date and hour slider and done some time-steps manually. I wonder if there is an automated time step based on hourly basis for a one-year simulation? I wanted to share the script on my first post but I can’t see (find) any option for that.

Hallo @lewi,

you have to use the upload option, to share your script or image.

1 Like

I can’t because it says “new users can not upload files” :frowning:

sorry if I intrude in the topic, but in the annual analysis what do you want to see?
The mapping of the amount of the reflected solar reflection (from the building) in the urban geometry?

Yes @LaFleur that’s exactly what I wanted to see. As you can imagine it’s very tiring to do that manually.

Try posting the file via google drive.
I believe that with the current components is not possible to do this type of analysis. I’m curious to see how you built your work-flow.

ok, I thought you were already able to create a mapping of the result for a short time, instead you have only created the polyline reflections thanks to the example.
As I said, I’m pretty sure there isn’t a finished component of Ladybug that allows you to do this type of analysis, but maybe I’m wrong.
Lately I’ve noticed that more people wanted to see/reproduce this kind of result.

For long time I have been planning to try to build a work-flow for this type of analysis, which I came across for work, but I never had the time.

From experience, I can tell you that calculating a potential solar glare, (from a reflecting glazing fasade) is to use a time step of every single minute, because if you simplify every 30 or 60 minutes, you could end up with a wrong result. Because, again from experience, based on the viewing angle, you could have a glare of 10-15min, even on “huge” surfaces.
I’m afraid that analyzing every single minute on a large amount of sensors point, could take a very long time.

Surely Mostapha will give you/us the right tip.

Greetings

Yes, as I have mention earlier I’m not acquainted with writing codes, so it was difficult for me to understand how the tool works. Like you said it may take long time to perform a time-step on a minute based parameter. It would be good enough for me if I can do a 30 minutes or even hour based yearly analysis.
Some studies and regulations indicate that for a glare to be considered as nuisance it has to exist for more than 30 mins on the specific concerned area. So for my study it’s okay to ignore glare reflections that don’t stay 30 mins on specific area.

Thank you LaFleur, I hope you will develop the component sometime soon :slight_smile:
I will wait for Mostapha’s comment.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I still haven’t solved the problem. Since I’m not familiar with python at all, I’ve found it very difficult to perform timestep analysis based on the pre-set analysis period. I have attached the error messages and the Rhino 3D model and also the Grasshopper file. I would really appreciate it if someone takes a quick look and suggest a possible fix. Thanks in advance Bounce_From_Surface_Time-Step.gh (409.6 KB) Site_Map GH.3dm (327.2 KB) image

Here in this youtube video Mostapha had done it well. Time-step is going automatically and the intersection points are displayed clearly.