Thornton Tomasetti is seeking an energetic MEP engineer, building scientist or technical architect with at least 2 years of experience to work with a team of environmental designers, energy analysts, architects and engineers to provide expertise in energy efficiency and sustainable design. The candidate should be inquisitive, personable, and technically savvy. The TT Sustainability practice is a ~25 person group spread between NYC, San Francisco, Boston, London, and Portland (Maine). Our purpose as a practice is to help design teams, developers, and owners create high performance, low energy buildings.
- Collaborate with colleagues to provide innovative sustainability and energy efficiency solutions and strong engineering/analysis capabilities.
- Set up and run shoebox and full-building energy models using Honeybee / Open Studio for a wide variety of project types (residential, lab, healthcare, educational, cultural, office, retail, institutional, etc) in a wide variety of climates.
- Evaluate impacts of energy conservation measures including envelope performance improvements, HVAC zoning, HVAC heat recovery and controls and lighting controls.
- Perform spreadsheet-based calculations of potential energy savings opportunities for projects at the planning stages and for policy development.
- Communicate in graphic and written form the inputs, methodology, and key findings and recommendations for each analysis.
- Participate in sustainable design charrettes, workshops, and design competitions with internal and external team members.
- Review LEED credit documentation related to energy performance for compliance with standards.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams of design professionals
- Interface with clients and attend meetings
- Title and Salary: commensurate with experience
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Building Science, or Architecture with EIT credentials, or a related field.
- Experience with fundamentals of HVAC systems such as working principles of HVAC system types, operations and controls.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills to effectively convey analyses to project stakeholders, including architects and engineers.
- Specialized technical expertise in energy analysis, modeling, and energy code compliance using Energy Plus.
- Experience with commercial, institutional and residential building HVAC systems design & operation.
- Experience with BPDA Article 37, NYCECC, and/or Title-24 is a plus.
- Knowledge and implementation of energy conservation measures in buildings.
- Demonstrated aptitude with energy modeling and design software –Energy Plus, Open Studio and Honeybee. Knowledge of Radiance and Ladybug is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Rhino, AutoCAD, and Revit.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute numerous project responsibilities simultaneously.
- Some business travel may be required.
Thornton Tomasetti is proud to be an equal employment workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Thornton Tomasetti are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.