Door Opening Feature Request

Hi all, Hope you are doing well. Having a hard time making door detail openable in Lbt.
I have a requirement to provide openable shutter for shops inside a mall. The material I have to assign is metal, therefore I cant make it aperture. Can anyone help me with a sample script using Lbt sdk for How can I create openable door with a schedule.
cc - @chris

Is this for energy simulation or radiance simulation. For Energy simulation, it is straightforward. For Radiance simulation, we’ve been working on a solution for the last few months and almost have it implemented.

1 Like

Yes @chris for energy simulation!

Sorry for the late reply. I should have also asked how important it is to model the airflow through the door since you’ll have to tackle that separately from the conduction/radiation. But both are easy if you know the schedule on which the door will be opening.

To model the conduction/radiation, you can make it a glass door and then use a Window Construction Dynamic component to change the door material from an 0% transmittance, insulating glazing material (representing the door) to a 99.9% transmittance conductive material representing the opening. As long as your opaque glazing material has an R-value, emissivity, and reflectance that matches your metal door, this should be good enough to correctly model the thermodynamics of the door opening with regards to conduction and radiation.

To model the change in airflow as a result of the door opening, you can just boost up the infiltration for the hours when the door is open using the room’s _infiltration_sch on the Apply Room Schedules component. There are fancier ways to model the airflow depending on whether there are also operable windows on the Room that has the door (and whether the door opening is coordinated with window opening). One of the more fancier options would be to add a custom ZoneVentilation:WindandStackOpenArea object to the IDF using additional strings and the parameters of the door to dictate the parameters of the E+ object. There are also ways of trying to account for it in the AFN but those are going to get really complex.

1 Like

Thank you @chris I will give it a shot in this method. :+1:

1 Like