Dragonfly legacy envimet terrain

Hi,

I started a new topic on request of Antonello about terrain function.

I have problems I would like to bypass. I was working on a scene just before the winter release.

What I have done so far::

• with lb_envimet-master components on ladybug 0.65 in rhino 5 buildings were shifted in envimet summer release, creating strange behaviour with surrounding green
  • with lb_evimet-master components on ladybug 0.65 as well as 0.67 on rhino 6 envimet summer release created floating points errors in Envimet. No luck on solving these so far.
  • Dragonfly legacy components, rhino 6 and envimet winter release seems to work fine on the scene, but has no terrain function.

The last release solved inconsistenties I encountered with prior releases, so that is great. But I need to incorporate sloping terrain somehow. Lb_envimet-master had terrain function and a building cutter component.

Just for testing I tried to incorporate the terrain in Dragonlfy by moving part of the soil definitions and buildings up in Z direction. Building positions were adjusted, soil was not: all green and asphalt roads were projected on an imaginary flat plain.

Is there a way to bypass the terrain limitation in the last Dragonlfy release?

Best, Rob

Hi Rob,

We can start with this first point rapidly, just attaching the model you are try to build in envimet world. Is the error when you open the model or when you run the simulation? You can share the gh model? If not you can send me in private and then we come back to community with necessary info to manage an error like this.

Regards,
Antonello

The error appeared when running the simulation. I have stripped to model of objects type by type, but it kept appearing. I’ll havo to see what I can send.To your gmail account that was displayed at the webinar?

Besides that: any suggestions on including terrain in the latest Dragonfly release?

Regards,
Rob

Hi @rob_van_houten,

Yes, you can send the file to my gmail.

About Dragonfly, there is some code to add for terrain. I start this weekend.

Regards,
Antonello

Hi,

Thank you for your swift response in tryng to tackle the problem and updating the new tool.

For the Floating point error: I am not working on the files alone, I’ll get back to you on that asap.

Best regards,

Rob

Hi,

I noticed another function is currently not present, which I was using in the prior tools. In prior tools you could modify the zero point of the grid. Now the grid is related to the buildings as an offset. You can extend the grid to match the area you want to investigate, but if the envimet grid matches the design grid - for example buildings and streets with an multiple of 2m and an envimet grid of 2m - the building dimensions do not match to the actual building dimensions. In prior tools I ofset the grid half a grid dimension (1m) in x and y to avoid this.

Best, Rob

Hi @rob_van_houten,

sorry for my late reply, Xmas vacation.

I have just added a “baseSurface” input to “DF Envimet Grid” which let you generate the grid based on surface instead of buildings. You can manage the points of grid moving the surface.

Regards,
Antonello

Hi,

That is great! Where can I find this the new grid component?

Best, Rob

…and a happy new year to you!

I didn’t send you the files with the floating point error of envimet, as they have been overwritten in the various debugging attempts. It also has become unnessary as the last plugin solves most problems, and landscape function is in the works.

Best, Rob

Hi @rob_van_houten,

It is not merged in the main repository yet. If you want to test it you can download it from here: unofficial dragonfly

Regards,
Antonello

Hi @rob_van_houten,

envimet terrain component should works fine now. You need to download ENVI_MET 4.4.1 from envimet official page.
If you want to test it you can download early-adopter version of envimet components: beta version

Regards,
Antonello

Hi, I just came across this topic - although it is 1 year old, I have a similar problem with the terrain (maybe not a problem, but a limitation of the software?):
I am trying to draw asfalt road on top of a slopy terrain. In Spaces, the terrain is well represented, but the road appears projected into the base flat surface. Does Dragonfly/Envimet allow this, or am I doing something wrong?
Please let me know if I can share the model and gh definition in private way, since it is a confidential project.
Thank you very much!

Hi @Sara,

road is part of 2d soil matrix of envimet. This is normal behavior of envimet software.
Despite of visualization is not really clear, I think envimet take in count of soils during calculation with DEM.

Regards,
Antonello

hi
how can i create single wall in DF envimet ?
i need to have a vertical wall
please help about this problem