Extract Glare Analysis data into Rhino Model

Hi,

Firstly - thanks to all those responsible on the development of HB/Radiance etc.

I have a question - I am conducting a glare analysis and was wondering if it is possible to view the information that has been produced (as can be seen from the “falseClolour” image output) as Rhino Geometry?

So instead of an image file but if that can be actually plotted back into Rhino geometry and viewed?

the main reason for this request is to provide better visualisations - and hopefully better quality of the image.

Unfortunately i cant upload images as a new user - but these links might help. I am doing something very similar to this > http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2ldt5/MondoArcDecJan201314/resources/127.htm?skipFlashCheck=true

This is an interesting problem. Though challenging it should be possible. Here is what I would do:

1. Use vwrays to find the translate the view to a grid of sensors.See Axel’s Understanding rtcontrib document if you don’t know how it is done: http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/documentation/docs/rtcontrib_lesson.pdf
  2. Parse the sensors generated in step 1 into grasshopper as rays and shoot them against your geometry. Where it hits the geometry is the pixel that you see in your image.
  3. Extract the colors / values from your image. You can use Grasshopper components for this but it also possible using Radiance itself.
  4. Color the intersection points from step 2 based on the colors from step 3.

Now if you look from the exact same view in Rhino you should see something similar to your image. Of course when you change the view it will not be as nice since the points of intersections will not for a continuous geometry.

Thanks for the quick response Mostapha -

i am a novice user so ill give that method a go over the weekend; and post how that goes.

Just thinking aloud here - could the ReColourMesh component be used in any way?

you need to create the mesh first then you use reColourMesh to color the mesh. If you want to only bring the image in Rhino as a 2D mesh then you should check Grasshopper’s image sampler.