Help simulating the stacking effect of air behind panels on a building facade - Honeybee

In a student project we are currently doing, we have been trying to use Grasshopper’s Honeybee zones to simulate air being heated as it rises behind a solar heated surface, also called the buoyancy effect or stacking.

The project is about simulating the heat flow behind solar facade panels and, simulate the air temperatures behind the panels.

We have already been looking at trombe-walls, but can’t seem to find anything related and comparable with this in Grasshopper.

My question is, if anyone have been trying to simulate this before, if not in Grasshopper where else? You can also take a look at our Grasshopper file to see if there are errors (which there probably are :smiley: )

We have attempted to make it parametric in order to later apply it to a full scale building facade simulation, so we can compare with real life results and other simulations.

Simulating Stacking Effect.gh (735.9 KB)

(We are students and not professionals)

Hi Benne,

The link to your GH script doesn’t seem to be working. Can you upload it again?
I’m also working on a similar student project with Trombe wall, and looking for solutions here.

Kenken

Yea I will upload a newer version. Still no success with the buyoancy, but I am getting temperatures up to 61 degrees celsius behind the “panels”. Since I am running out of time with the simulation, it is kinda on a stand still at the moment. It is very messy, but I hope you can find what you need. And if you figure something out, then I would be happy to know.

PV-AirGapTemp.gh (735.8 KB)

A little update. Please refer to this thread: EP Results: Air temperature in vertical zones

I might have hit a wall here, as it seems that this is the wrong way to simulate this.

Hey,
in my opinion it easier to use honeybee just for the geometry and take a look yourself on your EP Inputs in the EnergyPlus Engine (IDF-Editor).
An important question is: What is important in your model, if you want to split it.
Is an airflow between the zones or do you need just to bring the sunradiation to the next zone?

I am not sure if it a solution, but you can take a look on the EP Examples and IRT (Infrared Radiation Transparent Material). If this is your adjacent surface between two zones. You don’t have airflow between the zones, but you can heatflow with Infraredradiation through the wall