Honeybee - Daylight Study for Towers Against Context

Hi everyone,

I’m new and adapting to Honeybee’s ability so I apologise if I’m coming across without having done some very obvious things first. I’ve tried to scout other posts and its a mix of lack of understanding/not available information that I think is causing me problems…

I have multiple towers that I want to put in as context and the two towers I’m studying I have the glazing, internal walls, external walls and floors in layers/separate breps.

I believe the grid based simulation would be the most successful but any time I try to enter a new HBObject, such as internal walls, it seems to crash the whole script when I add it to the HBObjects.I’ve tried to use createHBsrfs and then createHBZones before directing the data to genHBZoneTestPts and runDaylightAnalysis but to no avail. Perhaps I’m pushing my luck on the first run of using Honeybee but I’m struggling!

Files are here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UWCBC9iUeHM4iNKB0BM6KXQjnpL_4R1K

Many thanks

See this sample file on Hydra.

I didn’t see your file but I assume you are using Honeybee not Honeybee[+].

Thanks @mostapha for the quick reply!

Apologies I thought Honeybee [+] meant anything related to Grasshopper.

I don’t really understand what the result is here, is it an average of all the floors represented?

I assume to add internal walls would take another radOpaqueMaterial > createHBSrfs labelled interior_walls? Or have I not quite understood?

I think where I’m not understanding is when you have just one ‘test surface’, but still modelled ‘rest of floors’, where was this important?

Many thanks again

You should start watching a number of tutorials online. There are different recipes which can be used to generate different results.

Yes. You have to convert all the geometries to Honeybee surfaces before connecting them to the component.

The rest of the floors are modeled as part of the geometry. The single test surface is used to generated test points / sensors.

I’ve watched your 7-part series on Honeybee, as well as taking a look at your other stuff on Hydra. I definitely need to watch it again to try understand better but do you recommend other material?