Ironbug Beta Release (outdated)

I’m sticking with the legacy version of ladybug and honeybee now because I’m afraid the new versions will create problems. Am I worrying for nothing? Which version do you recommend? Thanks.

@XavierZhouLadybug I meant update the newer version of legacy honeybee, not [+] version.

@MingboPeng, I’d like to update to the latest Ladybug/Honeybee release. Is Ironbug compatible?

Hi @LelandCurtis, yes, Ironbug works with the latest legacy plugin and OpenStudio 3.0+.

Note, you will need to check this if you are using OpenStudio3.0+ How to get Honeybee Legacy working with OpenStudio 3.0

2 Likes

Hello, I have a problem istalling the ironbug.
I have open studio 2.5.0 and I tried downloading the Ironbug for doing HVAC simulations, but unfortunately, I cannot install it successfully.
I have the same problem as other users described in the past, not all components installed properly. I downloaded it and I followed various steps and instructions you gave to various users but still, I have very few components from ironbug. I have also the following messages as errors when I open the grasshopper now. I guess this happened because I tried multiple times installing the ironbug and delete it and install it again, but then this error continues to exist.

Moreover, i have seen that i have in my drive ©: 3 folders with the open studio 2.5.0 , does this play a role, do they overlap? Or are those just updated versions?
Can you help me with this problem? Thank you! Gina B.

Hi @Gina96, which version of Ironbug have you installed? Have you check the newer version: Ironbug Preview Release ?

Hello,
thank you for the reply. I just followed this link, I do not know what I did differently this time but it helped me. Thanks! Now I have all the components and it seems it is working.

Hi @MingboPeng, Is Ironbug compatible with Rhino 7 and OpenStudio 3.1.0?

I think so, there are several people already using it in Rhino7, so I assume there is no issue with it (I don’t have Rhino7).

Hi @MingboPeng,

I have tried Rhino 7 and Ironbug works fine but when I have upgraded to OpenStudio 3.1.0 I have this error:

image.

I have the same error with Rhino 6.
Should I wait to upgrade to Openstudio 3.1.0?
Thank you

For what is worth i have R7 and OS3.1 installed and IB loads just fine.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro @MingboPeng ,
I’ve downloaded the last package for OS 3.1.0 from https://www.nuget.org/packages/OpenStudio/ and now works fine with Rhino 6 and 7.
Another question, I’ve downloaded the last IB version 0.16 (2020/08/02) but my components diplay version 0.15:

Any ideas?

If that is a component that you copied from an old file, those component version will still with the old version.

If you want to check the version, you can drop a new IB component after you installed a newer version.

However, this version on components won’t affect any of functions, and the only thing that matters is which Ironbug that you have installed.

Hi @MingboPeng,
Thanks for all the hard and super useful work on ironbug!
I’ve recently switched to a new computer, with fresh installations of LBT 1.1.0, with OpenStudioApp 1.0.1 and after some searching in this forum + github, i have two questions that i cannot buttom out.
1- Does ironbug require a stand alone openstudio installation, or does it work with openstudioapplication. I currenlty have only the OSA installed and receive the error message “cannot find OpenStudio 2.8 or newer version installed in C drive!”. I noted the suggestion with changing the folder name under a different tread, but that does not seem to work either. I refer to this version of Ironbug https://github.com/MingboPeng/Ironbug/releases/tag/0.0.16
2- Grasshopper fails to load a large number of ironbug components. Does Ironbug need admin rights to C:\Ironbug (either while copying the contents of installation folder, or whenever the contents are called for), and could this be the reason as my account currently does not have admin rights to the computer.
Thanks.

Hi @Volkan,
OpenStudioApp has been separated from OpenStudio project, you will need to install the original OpenStudio from https://github.com/NREL/OpenStudio/releases/tag/v3.0.1

Once you install OpenStudio correctly, Ironbug will load correctly, and it doesn’t need admin rights.

1 Like

Thanks Mingbo. That fixed the first issue, but i am still getting errors on a bunch of components (even though they are now appearing under the ironbug tab). I tried deleting and reinstalling the ironbug library in grasshopper but that didnt help. Ironbug loading errors.txt (17.4 KB)
Thanks again.

Hi.
I had the same issues. Please insure that you are using the latest IB version which is now 0.0.16. The latest version of OS that IB supports is 3.0.1. To make all legacy plugins work with it you need to do just one step as Chris explained here: How to get Honeybee Legacy working with OpenStudio 3.0

1 Like

Possibly on to something there! i see that when grasshopper loads, it’s loading Ironbug 0.15.0.0 in rhino, but i just deleted the library/re-downloaded/reinstalled using the latest release (which i think is this? https://github.com/MingboPeng/Ironbug/releases/download/0.0.16/Ironbug.zip) and it still is loading 0.15.0.0, and the components in gh still not loading.
Thanks for the link on legacy plugins. that was going to be the next question!

Yes, the version showed on the nodes is really 0.0.15.

Anyway after copying dlls to CSharp folder it started to work in my case.

1 Like

Yes! that actually did it. Sorry I hadn’t quite followed what you meant by the previous post. It looks like some of the ironbug components also require the workaround Chris suggests at the link you shared, and it is still something NREL has not picked up in OS 3.0.1 (not just 3.0.0).
0.15.0.0 seems to be an oversight in versioning.

Bottom line for future readers using LBT1.1 and having similar issues:
1- You need OpenStudio 3.0.1 installed (if you have installed OpenStudioApplication 1.0.1, you still need to do this in addition to OSA)

2- You need v0.16.0.0 of ironbug installed

3- You need to follow this fix