Ladybug Analysis Tools in 2017!

Thankyou very Mostapha for posting the news yet to come and for the all good work the whole team you’ve been doing (personally I have to specially thanks to Chris Mackey for helping me in this forum with some issues!). Ladybug + Honeybee have become part of the essentials tools I use in everyday work.

I agree with Aurelien Keller that it would be nice if some ventilation and lighting components had some more information about how to use them. I’m starting to use these components and I find quite difficult sometimes!

happy 4th birthday!

The advantage of doing this outside the component is that one can also color the Title Text (The text Below WindRose) if one wants to

or any other already colored mesh for that matter.

Devang,

I am definitely in favor of the new outputs that you have added to the wind rose and the ability to assign colors outside of the component. You can also use the native GH color mesh component to color the text rather than the python component in your example.

The only additional thing I am (and I think Bijit is) advocating for is that the default text for the speed frequency be a different color than black just for the sake of clarity to new users. Even if it was just a different shade of dark grey, this would be helpful. I don’t think that we need to add another set of inputs on the component to change these default colors as people will always have the ability to override it outside of the component.

Let me know if this makes sense.

-Chris

Implemented.

The native mesh Color component is just what we needed. I wasn’t aware of that one. Thanks for bringing it to attention Chris.

Will do! I was not aware of the new components! This is a reminder to me that a “Pulse” project can be really helpful to be able to keep track of changes like this. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you for the list. Such lists can be really helpful. We don’t have any at the moment. Honeybee[+] is trying to address some of the items in your checklist specially for the results visualization. Automating some of the items is going to be hard as we don’t have all the information that we need. For instance how do we know if there is a ground plane? At the same time we can create components to help the users to take care of the cases. For instance have a component/option that adds the ground plane to the scene. There is a lot that we can do in that area. To me that’s a turning point once we can include the best practice into the workflow.

1. HB[+] won’t work with Python 3. Maybe that’s something that we should start to consider before it gets very late.

Hi Pin,

1. Just to add to Chris’s reply, once we get the first release out it’s a top priority to get more developers involved in the process of development. I haven’t written down the guidelines for that yet.

Hello Everyone,

This sounds good to me,

Thanks Mostapha, Devang and Chris for giving time to this concern.

Cheers

-Bijit

Hi Chris and Mostapha,

Thanks! I look forward to helping in the development.

Just one last clarification.

Since Python 3 has been mentioned (and implied that HB[+] can be made do work with Py3+), does that mean that the Rhino team is planning on adding other implementations of Python? (CPython maybe?) (Since Rhino5 is limited to 2.7 because it’s using IronPython).

For some reason the website removed all the reply except for the link. Check this slides or watch the presentation to see how and why the python binding will be useful. It’s not for Rhino/Grasshopper.

Mostapha, Chris and all,

Happy ladybug+honeybee anniversary. Thank you all for this great effort, happy to know about using VR connection with LB+HB. I’m very lucky to be a part of this motivating & inspiring forum, I learnt a lot from you and you are motivating me to work harder to follow the Lb+Hb updates.

for my small wish list :slight_smile:

• I wish that some of the simulations take less time, especially radiation analysis & comfort shade benefit evaluator, as I tried many v.good PCs to run them but it was difficult and the building was too simple to have all that time.

• for large scale & high rise buildings, I wish that we can have a simpler way to define them in HB, as I should build every zone as surfaces " walls, floors, ceiling " so I can have a thermal zone and get my results without errors. I know that’s the right way to define the zone but it takes time, especially in the final performance evaluation of the building with all of its details.

• Recently, I was working on a large scale building consists of 4 stories with different design plans, but fortunately, I had a building block to copy and mirror and I found the Hbmirror & Hbmove very useful. I used it to move and mirror that block with many thermal zones which are moved with its names & I had some errors, I’m not sure that I used it in the right way. But I wish that there’s a tool can help me copy or mirror thermal zones with its properties to make the process of defining the building’s zones easier.

wish you all success, happiness & the best,

Mona