LouverShades materials?

Hi,
Is there a possibility of adding material definitions for the LouverShades (ep_const and rad_mod), as in the BorderShades and Shade components which have them?

Thanks,
-A.

ApplyShadeMod is the answer to this thread, in case someone needs.
-A.

3 Likes

Turns out that’s not the answer.
The modifier is not updated in the model.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
-A.

So the “HB Apply Shade Modifier” is the best answer right now but it only changes the shade modifier of the honeybee object that you plug into it. In your case, it looks like you are plugging in Rooms as your _hb_objs but you want to plug in Apertures since that’s what the louvers are being assigned to. Can you apply louvers directly to the Apertures (and then change the shade modifier of the apertures) before you add the Apertures to the room?

Hi @chris,
I don’t find where/how to do that since the apertures are defined with the AperturesByRatio component:

I’m not looking at the right direction?
Worst case, i’ll set this in the ModifierSet, and not change it along the way.
-A.

1 Like

Your wish has been granted!

I hesitated for a bit because of how large it makes the component but these inputs really seem practical given that they are the only way with the components to assign a different material for louvers than other shades.

I also added the capability to assign both a _shade_count_ and a _dist_between_ simultaneously so that you can make louvers like this:

4 Likes

This is very nice @chris. Both the materials and the dist_between.
The only wish i have now for this component (and after you added the dist_between) is to set a distance for the border (for instance the top). The reason is that this will allow to have a lightshelf without having a shade on top of it (or if you change the flip_start input, to have a shade below it).
Thanks!!
-A.

1 Like

Hm. Let me think about this one since, as I said, the component is already pretty large for a model creation component and this type of “shade moving” operation is pretty easy to do with a few lines of Python in another component. For now, you can just paste this into a GHPython component that has inputs for _rooms (list access, NoTypeHint) and _distance (item access, Float) and an output of rooms.

from ladybug_geometry.geometry3d.pointvector import Vector3D

rooms = [room.duplicate() for room in _rooms]
moving_vec = Vector3D(0, 0, -_distance)
for room in rooms:
    for face in room.faces:
        for ap in face.apertures:
            ap.move_shades(moving_vec)
1 Like

This is perfect. Have a rest on this one.
Needed to change the order of the components since the SkylightsByRatio and BorderShades are also affected by the code. But this is not critical at all.

Thanks a lot @chris. Super helpful as usual.
-A.

1 Like

Hi @chris and @AbrahamYezioro.

Hope you doing well.

How can I use the component that has both rad_material and ep_construction for louver in HB Louver Shades?
I downloaded the zip file from GitHub and replace the HB Louver Shades user object file that exists in the zip file with the same user object file in my grasshopper folder but nothing has changed.

Can you help me?

Best,
Nariman.

I think I just solved my problem by replacing the whole honeybee_grasshopper_core folder.

@Nariman.Rafati ,

The correct way to update to the latest development version of the plugin is by running the “LB Versioner” and then restarting Rhino. You can sync any old Grasshopper definitions that you have with your new installation by running the “LB Sync Grasshopper File” component.

Thank you for your prompt response @chris

That worked and the new component (1.2.3) is amazing.
Can you help me on finding a reference for Solar and Visible Reflectance values?

Best,
Nariman.

Check the attached file. It is part of the E+ installation folder (Datasets).
WindowBlindMaterials.idf (6.0 KB)

Reading in the InputOutput Reference, it says that:

This object specifies the properties of a window blind consisting of flat, equally-spaced slats. Unlike window shades, which are modeled as perfect diffusers, window blinds have solar and visible transmission and reflection properties that strongly depend on slat angle and angle of incidence of solar radiation.

-A.

Thanks Dear @AbrahamYezioro