R&D for Clean Tech Energy Saving Façade and Window Product
Follow and assist in supporting the work of R&D and design 3D prototype digital models to develop a proof of concept for the building façade product, the Passive Thermal Daylight Harvester, (PTDH). with US based architectural firm and Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Model and test iterations to develop a building product that saves energy on building façades at windows.
You will work together in a team to assist in initial R&D for Task 1 of Phase 1 of a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the US Department of Energy’s Building Technologies Research & Integration Center at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Here is a summary of the product concept:
Obtain experience during the internship in the fields of both architecture and building science.
Position Title: Summer Intern
Start date : Immediately (Remote)
End date: Flexible
Number of Work Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week
Compensation: Paid Internship based on experience level ($15/hour to $25/hour)
Skills and Competencies:
- Parametric Energy Modeling
- Knowledge of grasshopper, building science, integrated design.
- Knowledge of Ladybug and Honeybee required with capabilities to integrate EnergyPlus, Openstudio, Radiance, Daysim, and other parametric plugins on Grasshopper.
- Familiarity of Python preferred
- Assist with the development of building simulation computer models of a building product that saves energy at windows. You will assist in developing models that could reduce solar radiation at a window using the PTDH concept.
Assistance in cost analysis for the product based on energy savings and calculation of ROI.
Create geometric profile sections, plans, and elevations for design development of a clean tech energy façade and window product.
Use simulations for energy savings, glare calculations, light reflections and other aspects of product efficiencies and adaptations. Product design to be further analyzed with Open Studio or other GUI compatible 3D modeling program(s)
- Parametric energy modeling experience with Grasshopper, Ladybug, Honeybee and Design Explorer using Energy and daylighting plugins.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Architecture, Engineering.
- Current Students or Recent Graduates are invited to apply.
- 2+ years of architecture, interior design, or engineering experience.
- Preferred knowledge of building and integrated sustainable design.
About Robert Cohen Architect LLC:
Founded by Robert Cohen in 1990. Robert Cohen Architect (RCA) offers full architectural and interior design services. These services cover diverse commercial, institutional, and residential building types including offices, restaurants, museums, schools and custom new and renovations and additions of single-family homes. Always mindful of budgets and deadlines, the firm constantly strives to offer innovative solutions.
RCA uses integrated design approaches allowing for highly energy efficient buildings that maximizes resources, and user health while minimizing environmental impact. We collaborate closely with owner, builders, and fabricators to avoid repetitive value engineering, lengthy and costly redesign, and delays while optimizing coordination, aesthetics, and function. With over 30 years’ experience, Robert Cohen, Principal is dedicated to a limited number of projects at any one time, 100% in charge of every aspect of the project, and gives personal attention to client priorities and needs. He is licensed in NY, NJ, and CT and is a Connecticut Department of Administrative Services certified Small Business Enterprise.
If you are interested, please send your resume and work sample before Thursday April 29th to:
Robert Cohen, AIA, NCARB, LEED BD+C , Robert Cohen Architect LLC, Westport, CT 06880