Rhino error pops up when running fly component

Hi there,

I am currently running a series of simulations for a simple box energy model with Honeybee and Fly to load in design explorer. I have a total of 1024 iterations but after a while running for approximately one hour, a Rhino error pops up, stopping the simulation and closing Rhino instantaneously. I have done several trials with other computers and the same happen, I don’t know where is my mistake, I have tried to simplify it as much as possible and still got the same error.
Does somebody have the same problem? did you figure it out?

FlyLadybug_RhinoError.gh (580.6 KB)

Thanks,
Julio

Hi Julio -

That sounds a bit like a memory issue. Have you looked at RAM usage when you are running this?

Apart from that, I can’t see any crash reports from you. While this one might not necessarily draw a lot of attention as it’s likely that it’s not strictly Rhino-related, you might as well always send those in. The developers are always looking for patterns in crash reports, and, in this case, when you send it in, I could have a developer specifically have a look at yours.
-wim

I have encountered this issue in the past and I even talked to David Rutten about it at one point after sending in a crash report a few years ago. Since it’s such a hard issue to recreate, we weren’t able to fix it beyond saying that there was probably some StackOverflow issue or something being tripped after so many simulations.

But a few of us on the forum have found that, beyond ~1,000 parametric simulations, Grasshopper can get a little unstable and it’s really just best to break up your simulations into bite-sized chunks beyond this. As @wim says, it doesn’t hurt to send in the crash report in the event that maybe we can finally get to the bottom of it.

Hi @wim,

Forgive my ignorance but I don’t know how to obtain the crash reports. I have sent the error report to Rhino with my email attached if is that what you mean.

Best and thank you for your quick response.
Julio

Hi @chris,

Yes, that sounds like what is happening to me, I think for now I will try to split it into smaller pieces of simulations and see how it goes. It is not ideal but seems the solution I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

Hi -

When you send in the crash report, there is no way for you to get to it. I use your eMail address to search our database for crashes, but so far nothing is showing up. Perhaps you are using a different eMail address than the one that you have registered for your account on the Rhino Discourse?

At any rate, when you crash Rhino and before closing the crash report dialog, you should see a RhinoCrash.dmp file on your desktop… Zip that file and either post that here or mail it to me at wim@mcneel.com. Note: I want the .dmp file not the .3dm file. When I get that, I can have David take a look at it.
-wim

Ohh, I see.
@wim I will send the zip to your email

Thank you again!
Julio

Hi @wim,
Could you figure out why was this happening?

Thanks,
Julio

Hi Julio -
I haven’t heard back from the developer on this one, no.
-wim