Temperature stratification

test1.gh (715.5 KB)
Hello everyone,I encountered problems when calculating adaptive maps. Theoretically, the air temperature should have slight variations in the horizontal plane, but in my calculations, the air temperature at all points is exactly the same. Is there a problem with my model or settings? Look forward to getting a reply, thank you all.TIM%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20180426193036

@mercury1123 ,
The surface that you have plugged into the distFromFlrOrSrf is flat within the xy plane:

Stratification is a phenomena that changes with vertical height within a space and does not refer to temperature changes within the same horizontal plane. If you were to plug in a surface with a vertical orientation to the distFromFlrOrSrf, you would see variations in air temperature that result from the simple stratification model that runs by default in the microclimate maps and comes from the PhD thesis of Alejandra Menchaca:
https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/74907

Most measurements of passive indoor air temperature show variations in temperature within the same xy plane that are < 0.1 C (compared to the 1-2 C variations that happen vertically). So these small variations in the horizontal plane are not accounted for in this simple model. If you really need to account for these small changes or you have an HVAC arrangement that you think might create larger variations in air temperature within the horizontal plane, I’d recommend running a CFD with butterfly to account for them.

Dear Chris, thank you very much for your explanation and advice.In addition,I am curious whether I can feed the Adaptive Comfort Analysis Recipe with measured indoor air temperature to calculate the MRT for validation, instead of the air temperature value from the Honeybee_read EP result.
I really appreciate your help.

Hi @mercury1123,
I am thinking. Should you use your own temperature values when values for other inputs are coming from the results of an energyplus simulation?

@mercury1123 ,
Sorry for the late response. @devang 's point is a good one. If you are trying to get the microclimate map results to match your measured results, you should probably edit the inputs to the E+ simulation rather than partially replacing the E+ results with your own data. Perhaps setting the temperature setpoint of your energy simulation to be equal to your measured air temperature will give you a good approximation of surface temperature in a room with your specified air temperature.