Wind vectors going through buildings

Hi everyone, I’m trying to run an Outdoor Airflow simulation through Butterfly, but my vectors are straight, and not recognizing buildings as obstacles and etc. Does it have something to do with the settings I’m using? Can someone help me? Bellow are some screenshots and also the file I’m using with geometry internalisedcfdtest1.gh (431.1 KB)

cfdtest1.gh (431.1 KB)

Sorry to be a pain, this is for my dissertation, I’m a begginner

Hi Dconforte,

Did you run the simulation? How long did it take to run? (it can take some hours)
It seems that you only wrote it.
Make sure you run it and wait enough time to get the results.

2 Likes

Hi @jucroffi thanks for the help in first place.
I was seeing some topics regarding the meshing process, does it have something to do with it? Maybe my buildings were not meshed accordingly? Do you know the best settings for meshing? I will try to run the complete simulation in order to see how it goes, thanks for the help

Hi, @Dconforte The input brep in Grasshooper definition missed. Please upload the Rhino geometry.

1 Like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hiwarB1Na3IIbZQd2BycKFpNJAxOKrsg/view?usp=sharing

Hi @minggangyin thanks for the help, here it is, the geometry I’m using to run the simulation, I’ve got some basic doubts, on the Butterfly Geometries component, I have to pick the whole geometry (breps of buildings + terrain)? and on the Analysis grid as well?

Warm regards
Daniel

Just asking because on the Geometry component I’m picking only the building breps, on the Analysis Grid component i’m picking the terrain, maybe thats the motive my buildings are not being recognized?

hi @Dconforte,

It will be easier to use Butterfly once you’ve come across the basics of CFD.
How to size the Computational Domain, the meshing, the boundary conditions, the solvers, etc.
Butterfly is very convenient tool to set all those parameters but having some global understanding will make it smoother for you.

Good places to start:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257762102_Best_Practice_Guideline_for_the_CFD_Simulation_of_Flows_in_the_Urban_Environment_COST_Action_732_Quality_Assurance_and_Improvement_of_Microscale_Meteorological_Models

1 Like

Hi @OlivierDambron, thank you so much for the CFD content indications, I’m starting to get familiar with the process, but more knowledge is always accepted, thank you so much.
Warm regards