Window setback / outside reveal

Hey there!

How can I generate windows that are set back inside the wall?

Would it be possible to add a function to the “addHBGlz” Component for specifying the depth of the outside reveal? (the inside reveal and inside sill depth have to be entered manually anyway via the frame and divider object but that’s not the case for the outside reveal).

The ExtrudeWindows component is only for the geometric representation of those as I understand it… or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Hi Albert!

I think you should be able to do this by creating horizontal and vertical blinds using Honeybee_EnergyPlus Window Shade Generator under tab 9. I hope this helps.

Best luck,

R.

Albert,The HB_extrudeWindows is your option here. True it will create a geometry and not the definitions you want in E+. You need to add them as context.

-A.

Guys,

wouldn’t it be possible to make a component for the “FraneAndDivider” object?

In Openstudio and Designbuilder they’ve even added a field for “outside reveal” so that the window setback will be calculated as opposed to the original e+ object that gets the outside reveal from the geometry itself…

Albert, This is possible. Can you provide me a simple example (in an idf file)? I want to know the level of details that you’re trying to achieve.

Hi Mostapha,

my main wish is being able to specify the outside reveal, which is not an input in the eplus object itself. In other applications though, like OpenStudio, you can specify the outside reveal which then offsets the actual window geometry from the outside wall by that distance. That way you won’t have to create shading surfaces…

For the visualization in Honeybee the ExtrudeWindows component could then also get these values from the windows and show the reveal (like in the screenshot from my model, where I first moved the windows manually and the set the distance in the ExtrudeWindows component for correct visualisation).

I’ve attached an idf file where I’ve put the main information in the FrameAndDivider object, for the other fields you could provide some default values.

The FrameAndDivider component could then be connected to the glazing related HB-components as an optional input, just like a EPConstruction or RADMaterial.

Hope this makes sense…

FrameAndDivider.idf (105 KB)

Hi, I am facing the same problem. I want to add detailed frame data to my model. I would be grateful if you can tell me how did you solve this issue.
Thank you.