writeTHERM Warning and Failure

Warning: The maximum number of meshing iterations reached before the error target was reached.Calculation complete.

The writeTHERM component seems to complete its calculation with this warning, but when reading the result, all of my materials are just filled in with solid black. This is with the default “meshLevel” input set to the maximum (8) and decreasing this value only returns a warning faster. This is happening as I am following along on the “Envelop design with THERM” tutorial series. It seems fairly straightforward and so I am not sure what is going wrong.

Maybe it is also worth noting that the WriteTHERM component threw an error until I uninstalled a redundant but more recent version of THERM. Recomputed after uninstalling to get to the current warning issue. Not sure if that’s helpful.

Any idea why this is happening?

I know that THERM will give that error whenever it’s meshing algorithm fails, which is very easy to do if you have big changes in the detail in your THERM polygons (eg. a very detailed polygon next to a large uniform one). I would often have to remove some of the detail in this case in order to get THERM to simulate.

I don’t have any more insight to give without a sample file that can recreate the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I’m only using the rainscreen example file file provided on Hydra/Github, which also corresponds with the tutorials.
I tried redrawing the U-shaped steel studs to be simple rectangular wood studs but this doesn’t work. I also tried removing the air gap, but there’s not much else to simplify in this model unfortunately, so I’ll keep poking around.

@chris I simplified the model by removing one material layer at a time and was able to get past the writeTherm warning after finally removing the cellulose insulation (replacing the material does not work). Once removed however (and adjusting the interior boundary line), the readTherm component just generates a flat black thermal map rather than a gradient. I am using THERM 7.6 as well. I apparently am not able to attach files to this forum as a new user, so I emailed my files instead. I am using the same exact workflow as what’s demonstrated in the tutorial series and on Hydra, but created with HB-Legacy 0.0.66 components.

Strangely enough, I also get a writeTherm warning (but a different one) when trying to run the example file provided on Hydra. it reads:

The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. Regenerating Boundary Conditions may correct this in some cases.The geometry contains overlapping regions. The edges surrounding these regions will be highlighted in red. You must fix this problem before simulating. ID(s): 12There are materials that lie outside of the Boundary ConditionsModel geometry and Boundary Conditions need to be properly defined before a calculation can be performed.

Considering how this is a different error, I’m not sure if this helps clarify or confuse the problem.
Reinstalling THERM also did not change anything.
Considering how this geometry works in your tutorial series, there must be something else wrong here.
Would also be great to know if/when THERM might be integrated into the new generation of Ladybug components? Thanks for your effort.

Sorry for the late response, @efuterfas . I got the files that you emailed me and I’m not sure what you changed about the sample file that caused the THERM meshing algorithm to fail. In any case, it works correctly with the attached versions of the sample file:

THERM_Export_Workflow.3dm (334.0 KB) THERM_Export_Workflow.gh (531.6 KB)