How does blind states in daylight coefficient based simulation work?

Hey Oliver, by any chance that you tested the “states” in this case. for some reasons, the results from different state doesn’t make sense to me.

3-phase method example file - Direction of windows

Hi Mingbo, why is that? Which part doesn’t make sense to you?

Hi @mostapha I was testing daylight coefficient workflows. Regardless the hour mismatching problem on direct illuminance data (I mentioned in the other post), switching states (VT-0.9, and VT-0.1) doesn’t do anything to the direct or diffuse result (minor +/- 50-100 lux) .

Is this “state” meaning the same as “state” in Daysim? this state setting is for Radiance to run several simulations with each state, correct?

Yes and yes. If you see the folder you check the folder you will see 4 files for each state. For instance for north_facing window group and dark_glass_0.25 state you will find these files:

1. total..north_facing..dark_glass_0.25.ill: This file includes the total contribution from Tregenza sky. (gendaymtx)
  2. direct..north_facing..dark_glass_0.25.ill: This file includes the contribution from direct only Tregenza sky (gendaymtx -d). The −d option may be used to produce a sun-only matrix, with no sky contributions.
  3. sun..north_facing..dark_glass_0.25.ill: This file includes the contribution of direct sun from hourly analemma. The values in this file will be used to correct the values inside direct file.
  4. north_facing..dark_glass_0.25.ill: This is the final results which is = total - direct + sun.

You can add/remove the contribution of each source by using blind_states input. You can also open the files and check the values from two different source if that is easier for comparison.

For future reference:

1. This naming convention is changing to a new naming convention:
  1. Soon there will also be a radout.db file will include all these results in one place. You can query the values for every combination from Results table.

ok, thanks for clarify. now I think I was understanding “states” correctly.
So here is problem:
I am just trying to test if states work correctly in DC simulation. The model here is a simple box model only with one facade has window.
I ran two VT (5%, 60%) individually without any state setting, and here are illuminance results at 2pm of Dec21st:

#################################################################################
###########################Below are simulations with state settings######################
#################################################################################

Here is a screenshot of how I set states:

and reading data from each state:

State (0,-1) without any window (light source)

State (0,0) normal state (VT 0.6)

State (0,1) normal state (VT 0.05)

So clearly it didn’t run with VT0.05.

Thanks @MingboPeng! Yes. Something is not working. I’m in the middle of making several changes to honeybee[+] right now and can’t test it for myself but if you zip the folder and send me a link to it I can take a closer look and see what’s going on. Also does the material with 5% transmittance created correctly? That is the first thing that I would check.

Hi @MingboPeng, Which .xml files did you use?

Hi @OlivierDambron, I am not testing 3 phase yet. this was just daylight coefficient.