Orientation / Facing of the test points / vectors

Hi,

I am using the radiation analysis of Ladybug to find out the radiation received by building facade. May I ask if it is possible to find out the orientation / facing of the testpoints or testvectors?

Thanks.

Ivan

In Rhino you can use dir command to see normal direction of surfaces.

In Grasshopper you can use Evaluate Surface component to do the same.

Finally, Ladybug Radiation component outputs list of test points and vectors for each test point which you can use to check/visualize the direction of the face.

Thanks @mostapha for your help.

I have tried the function “evaluate surface”. However, as the output indicates the orientation of facade instead of point or vector, I cannot link it to the radiation simulation result (the radiation intensity per point).

Very sorry that my original question wasn’t clear enough. My ultimate goal is to evaluate the facade of which orientation (south, east, west, north) receives the most radiation. Is there a way to identify the orientation / facing of the test points / vectors in numerical form (for statistical analysis)? Otherwise, is there a way to identify the surface where the test point belongs to?

Thank you very much.

Hi @Ivanita,

My ultimate goal is to evaluate the facade of which orientation (south, east, west, north) receives the most radiation.

The easiest way to check this is by either visualizing the sky dome showing the contributions from sky patches or by simply using the Radiation rose.

1 Like

Are you trying to calculate the radiation without the geometries and just for test point and vectors?

If what @devang has suggested doesn’t solve your problem then you should use honeybee which accepts analysis points as input for simulations. Ladybug generates the test points based on grid-size to ease the process for beginners.

Thanks. I just had the time to test what @devang suggested.

I am trying to calculate the radiation received by the exterior walls of buildings (the geometry, as shown in the figure) and wanted to know which side (east, west, south, north) of the wall would receive the most radiation. The method that @devang suggested seems to be for sky patch instead of the exterior wall of a geometry (building).

I know honeybee has a function to separate the surfaces (separatebynormal), but it can only separate the faces that are facing up or side. Can it also identify which side a wall is facing as well?

box

Thanks again to @mostapha and @devang for your kind help.

Ivan

You could try something like this.

radiation.gh (421.0 KB)

I am using a component from TTtoolbox for iteration.

If you want to run the analysis just once Ladybug by default puts the points for each surface in a different branche. That will allow you to add the values up for each direction. Here is an example:

Thanks @devang and @mostapha! Both ways can solve my problem and the Ladybug “separate by normal” function is really useful!

Thanks again.

Ivan

5 posts were split to a new topic: Capturing views to create an animated GIF