A simulation-based framework for design and control a dynamic facade using Honeybee[+]

I want to share with you two papers for controlling dynamic shading which I presented on BauSIM 2018 and PowerSkin 2019 conferences.

1. Exploring the potential of the dynamic facade simulating daylight and energy performance of complex fenestration systems (venetian blinds)
  2. A simulation-based framework exploring the controls for a dynamic facade with electrochromic glazing (EC)

In order to find an effective control strategy for dynamic facades such as a complex fenestration system (e.g. venetian blinds) or a switchable window (e.g. EC), these papers proposed a simulation-based framework that explores different scenarios for the most appropriate window states.
By using a weighted penalty function method the multi objective criteria for providing visual comfort, thermal comfort and energy saving have been defined.

For these studies I have used Honeybee[+] to generate day lighting annual results (3 phase method).

This paper also addressed a common error of simulating dynamic facade, “thermal inertia and initialization issue”, and a method to overcome.

Thank you all.

Regards,
Fazel

10 Likes

The paper presented by Fazel at PowerSkin 2019 in Munich, was awarded the prize for the best presentation. (cc @mostapha).

2 Likes

Very nice! Congrats @fazel.ganji! Looking forward to read your paper.

1 Like