Add to EP Library

Hi,
I modeled a window in “LBNL Window” then reported it to IDF file. How can I use it in Honeybee as a construction or material? I pasted the Idf file in this folder:
C:\Users…\ladybug_tools\resources\standards\honeybee_standards\constructions
but it can’t work. May anyone help me?

Hi @mlk ,

If your window construction is a type that is supported by Honeybee (eg. it’s not a BSDF or a material with spectral data), you’ll be able to find it in your Honeybee Construction library using the Search Constructions component. If you see it there, then you can apply it to Honeybee object just using the name of the construction. Note that you have to Restart Rhino/Grasshopper whenever you paste a new IDF file into you standards folder.

I think LBNL WINDOW usually names the constructions with some naming convention like “GlazSys_62” or something like that. You can check the exported IDF in a text editor to see what WINDOW called your construction.

1 Like

thank you chris,
my window costruction is an IDF file.
Now I get this error from all components of Honeybee (Tab 0) unfortunately, I did not get this error before.

Do you want to upload your IDF and I’ll see if I can recreate the issue?

Here is your issue:

This isn’t a valid IDF object. When you use the “Custom” gas type, you have to specify values for conductivity, viscosity, and specific heat coefficients. So you can either edit your IDF in a text editor to have these values or you can use a different gas type in LBNL WINDOW.

thank you so much, I work on it

I’m sorry,
but this problem has not been solved yet, I solved the previous case that you said, but I still get this error:

1. Solution exception:Input must be a number. Got <type ‘str’>: .
    I dont know where is the problem :slightly_frowning_face:
    I pasted the IDF file in this folder:
    C:\Users…\ladybug_tools\resources\standards\honeybee_standards\constructions

Is the IDF file here anywhere? Would like to play around/try to understand this.
Thanks!

sure
GlzSysGlazingAvg.idf (5.0 KB)
if you know that please tell me.
thanks

1 Like

I could import the Idf with help of this comments Importing IDF to Honeybee - #5 by AMIRTABADKANI , but somethings doesn’t work true. may you give some advise to me?

Hi,
Sorry to ask again,
I daownloaded your Idf file from this Adress: Hydra Viewer , and tryed to solve my file problem:

At first I checked all of inputs. whenever I was founding the diffrences between Input values, I changed my file inputs to yours but nothing solved.
in next stage I copied my construction and intended to paste it in your file, but the Paste Button on your file was off.
so I copied your file, but Honeybee can’t read the copy of your file too.
then I checked your IDF file and mine on Notepad. they are diffrent.

I think the IDF file that should be introduced to Hanybee should have features that I do not know. If you know whats wrong please tell me.
thank you so much

Thank you for reporting all of this, @mlk .

This was a useful case that allowed me to fix two bugs in our IDF-importing capabilities. The first bug is that the comments within your IDF file were interfering with parsing some of the material layers. The second issue (that you specifically experienced here) is that the code parsing Custom Gas object was not able to account for blank or unspecified fields like this:

WindowMaterial:Gas,
    Gap2,                    !- Name
    Custom,                  !- Gas Type
    0.0120,                  !- Thickness {m}
    0.024069,                !- Conductivity Coefficient A {W/m-K}
    ,                        !- Conductivity Coefficient B {W/m-K2}
    ,                        !- Conductivity Coefficient C {W/m-K3}
    0.000017,                !- Viscosity Coefficient A {kg/m-s}
    ,                        !- Viscosity Coefficient B {kg/m-s-K}
    ,                        !- Viscosity Coefficient C {kg/m-s-K2}
    1006.1032;               !- Specific Heat Coefficient A {J/kg-K}

… and it was instead expecting something like this:

WindowMaterial:Gas,
    Gap2,                    !- Name
    Custom,                  !- Gas Type
    0.0120,                  !- Thickness {m}
    0.024069,                !- Conductivity Coefficient A {W/m-K}
    0,                        !- Conductivity Coefficient B {W/m-K2}
    0,                        !- Conductivity Coefficient C {W/m-K3}
    0.000017,                !- Viscosity Coefficient A {kg/m-s}
    0,                        !- Viscosity Coefficient B {kg/m-s-K}
    0,                        !- Viscosity Coefficient C {kg/m-s-K2}
    1006.1032,               !- Specific Heat Coefficient A {J/kg-K}
    0,                        !- Specific Heat Coefficient B {J/kg-K}
    0,                        !- Specific Heat Coefficient A {J/kg-K}
    20,                        !- Molecular Weight
    1;                        !- Specific Heat Ratio

The first IDF string is not valid for EnergyPlus but it’s clear to me that you want the unspecified coefficients to be zero so I added support for this. I really can’t pull a molecular weight and specific heat ratio out of thin air, though (no pun intended). So I’ll need those fields whenever you use custom gas IDF strings like this.

In any event, I just pushed fixes to the development version of the LBT plugin and, if you want to test the fixes, you can get them on your end with the LB Versioner.

Alternatively, the attached tweaked version of your IDF will be able to load correctly into Honeybee as you currently have it:
GlzSysGlazingAvg.idf (3.9 KB)

Thanks again!

Thank you for your time, chris.

you’re right there was something wrong with custom Air layer and I thank for your help. but one more thing was different between two IDF files that it related to the columns. when I reported a wrapped Idf, It worked.
with regards

Hi @mlk

I don’t know what you mean by “wrapped IDF” but what you are describing sounds like the bug I fixed as a result of the IDF comments interfering with the parsing of the materials and constructions. Let me know if you think there’s anything else I need to investigate here.

Hi @chris ,
no nothing else, just look at two IDF files that I have sent it 14th Dec. there are different on Notpad. they are different on EnergyPlus too:

for solve this issue I eported a wrapped Idf:

that’s it.
thank you

Hi @mlk ,

Yes, I see. The fact that you were getting only two of your three glass layers imported was a result of the bug I mentioned where the comments in the IDF were messing up the import. It looks like WINDOW’s wrapped IDF option will exclude these problematic comments so that seems to be another way of addressing the issue instead of upgrading to the latest developer version of the plugin. In any event, thanks again for reporting this.

1 Like

Hi @chris and You’re welcome.