Blockmesh Errors: Could not find the files "blockMesh.log" and "blockMesh.err"

Hi everybody,

I’ve been struggling to install and run Butterfly and OpenFoam on my Windows 10 machine

I’ve used the installer for OpenFOAM 1.612, but this resulted in Docker not finding the “default” machine.
Uninstalling the Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.1 packaged with the installer and replacing it with version 5.2.22 fixed that problem.

So now OpenFoam seems to work, but there in an issue with Butterfly. (I’m using the first example file for outdoor flow.)

This is what I get when running OpenFOAM_Start:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\ESI\OpenFOAM\1612\Windows\Scripts\of_start_container.exe" -Arguments "C:\Program Files\Docker Toolbox\;C:\Program Files\Git\bin"
Starting "default"...
Machine "default" is already running.
of_plus_1612
[ofuser@default ~]$

This is the output of the “Blockmesh” component in the example file. There seems to be an issue with the files/path. The …\outdoor_airflow\ folder exists, and there is some stuff in there, but not the files that are reported missing in the component output.

SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i a01361888820 pgrep snappyHexMesh SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i a01361888820 pgrep snappyHexMesh
container id: a01361888820
SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i a01361888820 pgrep snappyHexMesh
SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i a01361888820 pgrep snappyHexMesh
Butterfly is running blockMesh. PID: 3993

Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log
Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Thomas

I suspect that the problem could be caused by the “_” in my username.
Any thoughts/experiences on that?

Thanks!
Thomas

Please delete the whole folder named “outdoor_airflow” and try the simulation again.

Hi @devang, I deleted the folder but it doesn’t change anything.
It looks like Docker/OpenFOAM can’t find the directory.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Deleting the folder typically works at my end. Are you using the Github version of Butterfly?

Thanks for your reply.
I’m using what’s on food4rhino.
Should I get it from GitHub instead?
Thanks!

Please follow these instructions to get the latest version.

1 Like

@devang, I have followed the instructions to get the latest version, which solves the problem with the Blockmesh. But now I have an issue with running the solution. On the positive side, I’ve never come this far before ;-).

This is the readMe! output:

0. Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.log:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.log'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.log
1. Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.err:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.err'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\simpleFoam.err
2. SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i d452ffdfc279 pgrep simpleFoam
4. done!

Any ideas? I already tried deleting the Butterfly folder and rerunning. Thanks!

I tried this solution, which seems to make things happen, but produces errors also in Blockmesh / Snappyhexmesh. (I’ve checked: The directory exists but the files do not.)

Updating cell size in blockMeshDict.
Updating grading in blockMeshDict.
Saved changes to blockMeshDict to:
C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\system\blockMeshDict
SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i d452ffdfc279 pgrep simpleFoam
SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i d452ffdfc279 pgrep simpleFoam
Butterfly is running blockMesh. PID: 2272

Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.log
Failed to read C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err:
	[Errno 2] Could not find file 'C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err'.: C:\Users\thomas_wortmann\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\log\blockMesh.err

Hi mr. @thomas.wortmann .

Did you make it work somehow?
I’ve got the exact same issue Failed to read ... Could not find file on my end.
It was actually working without any problem, but weirdly it starts to throw this errors since this week, not sure what I’ve changed on my PC though.