BSDF Microshade in Energyplus

Hi community!

Do you know about Microshade? https://microshade.net/
I would like to do an indoor climate study with Honeybee in a room with Microshade.

I have managed to create a BSDF file with Window, but do not know how to implement the file in the workflow, nor in Openstudio itself. For the daylight analysis, everything is fine, I found older posts here that helped me through, but for energyplus, can’t find any documentation.

Is there a superman out there to help me?

You should be able to export an idf file from LBNL windows that you can use in Openstudio.

2 Likes

Thank you, I have done that.
I precisely wonder how to implement it in Open studio.
Through a measure? It would be great to have a few bullet points to follow if you have.

Thank you so much.

Hi Franz

Do you mean using the “run energy analysis with open studio” component or using open studio in general? If you are using the component, I think it’s possible to combine your glazing+shading to make a bsdf in Window (I understand you did that) and then you use the component ‘Honeybee_Import WINDOW IDF Report’ to import the BSDF of your shading+glazing element to create an EP material that you then assign to your EP construction in honeybee. I think this should work with the openstudio component or the enegyplus one but I would double check. I’ve never done this exactly myself but I’ve personally experienced that the openstudio component doesn’t always tell me it can’t do specific things and it’s a bit tricky sometimes. Hope this helps, also Devang, please tell me if I’m wrong :wink:

Ellika

1 Like

Hey Ellika,

Thank you for your time.
Yes I have tried that but strangely it does not show. Some LBLNWindow is found in the library but the simulation cannot run.
I connect the output EPConstructions into the input of the same name of the HoneybeeAddHBGlz component.

I am also interested in doing that directly in OpenStudio otherwise.

Tricky!

Franz, I think this conversation might contain the solution, if you scroll a bit through the answers, there are at least two ways the issue was solved by users… but maybe you’ve already found this thread? Assigning - Construction:ComplexFenestrationState to window
Ellika

1 Like

Hi @EllikaCachat and @devang, thankyou for earlier clarifications, i found them helpful.
I Believe this is very basic question too so if you may answer it or direct me to the right discussion.
In case of dynamic shades with arbitrary geometry, do i need to make a separate BSDF (with geometry) for each state based on the geometry, import it for analysis as explained above? If so, that would give me energy analysis for each state separately rather than an overall for the system. How to solve that.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thank you.