Creating louvers for daylight and energy simulation

Hello everyone
I want to run daylight and energy simulation and optimize the angle,width and number of louvers. First I created dynamic louver with grasshopper components and used HB_Context and connected it to daylight and energy simulation.

But after a while I saw lots of comments that HB_Context is not good for daylight simulation. As we see in this topic:

Then I used Window Shade Generator for creating the louvers but I understood it doesn’t have any Rad material part to connect my Bsdf file.
And now there is one more component called ShadingDesigner in Ladybug but I don’t know which one to choose to do the best for daylight and energy simulation.
By the way , my louvers are horizontal and their material id BSDF glasses. I have XML files to go with rad materials although I don’t know how to generate it’s energy properties.!!!

1 Like

You need to connect the created geometry to the HB_createHBSrfs component to create the context surfaces … as @mostapha replied in the discussion you mentioned.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro
Thanks for tour reply… First of all I don’t know which way is better to use:
1.Creating dynamic louvers with grasshopper components as you see the picture above
2.creating them with window shade generator

3.creating them with ShadingDesigner
Capture2
And as @mostapha said , HB_Context component is useful for the buildings and trees not the dynamic louvers. Can you please explain exactly what components should I connect to create dynamic horizontal louvers with RAD and Energyplus materials?
Thanks a lot

Hi @leilapasandi,
You can use either of the options. At the end you need to connect the geometry to the HB_Context, where you can set the Radiance materials. For EnergyPlus you can’t define materials for shading elements.
As again, use whatever option you feel more comfortable with from the modeling point of view.

Another thing i need to mention, from the image you uploaded with the shade generator (option 2). Just be aware that setting the writeEPObjs to True and connecting the HBObjWShades to the thermal zone will use blinds/shades/switchable glazing, in the energy simulation, which i’m not sure you want them there.
-A.

Hi again…
In this reply you say I should connect the geometry to the HB_Context which I told you is not useful for dynamic blind!And for defining materials for energyplus: How can I use the properties of the louvers such as reflectance,tranmittance … and see their effect on the radiation and comfort of the zone?
For better perception I explain the main goal of my analysis. I want to optimize north and south oriented classrooms of 4 different climates in terms of Radiation and Daylight with horizontal louvers. My optimization parameters are width,angle and numbers of louvers which in every climate is different. And to compare the results before and after the optimization and see the effects of dynamic louvers on Daylight and Radiation. For radiation I needed to know the Comfort conditions of my classrooms and see if it is cold there I should maximize the radiation until the percentOfTimeComfortable part is going to be near 100% as you see in this picture:
Capture3
So I have two objects for my optimization: Daylight autonomy (to be maximized in the range of 300-500 lux) and PMV Comfort(to be maximized in the percentOfTimeComfortable). But I don’t know where I am wrong here and if the material of louvers affect PMV Comfort or not?
Best

E+ doesn’t allow to define material properties for shading elements (louvres, context buildings, trees, etc). Only transparency. The only element you can define them is Lightshelf, which won’t be appropriate for your case.
You probably need to create a coupled model that combines results produced from Radiance and use them for the E+ simulation.
There is an example in hydra showing how to do that.
Not the good news you were expecting, but news anyway. Hope it helps.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro
Thanks for your reply… I got it somehow… Can you please send me the URL of that example you mentioned?
Best

Here you go.
-A.

Hi @AbrahamYezioro
Sorry to bother you but I couldn’t access the right algorithm yet. In fact I’ve read the discussions a lot but there is something strange I don’t know how to deal with.I want to create dynamic blinds and run Daylight and Energy simulation. To have both RAD Material and EP Material what should I do?
As you see in this discussion , no one has answered @Youngjae chung yet! His first question:
And also in this discussion @chris has said 4 main ways of modeling shades in EnergyPlus.
In this also @chris said :
However, connecting the breps to the EPContext component is greatly undesirable for two reasons: It will make the simulation run much longer and the energyPlus calculation will not account for the surface temperatures of the blinds (it will assume they are the same temperature as the outdoor air, which is very wrong in a lot of cases)
So I shouldn’t connect shade breps to HB Context …
But inconceivably in here he mentioned : In order to add properties for daylight and energy simulation to your shade geometry, you use the CONTEXT component!!
Ans then @mostapha in here said: If you’re running a daylighting simulation just use createHBSrfs component to create the context surfaces. Context component is mostly useful for energy simulation.
According to these discussions I’m really confused about adding dynamic blinds with RAD and EP materials to my algorithm yet!!
Is adding HB CreateHBsrfs to Window Shade Generator and connecting BSDF material to HBsrfs the right solution for me?

Reflectance of Shading Surfaces in EnergyPlus This discussion might help you for the EnergyPlus part.