Difference Between "LB Incident Radiation" and "Ladybug Solar Radiation" Components

Dear community,

I’m working on a project and saw these two components. I ran the simulation with both and see different results at some locations of the analysis. You can see the components below:

Also you can see the differences below for different results per different components:

Ladybug Solar Radiation Component

LB Incident Radiation Component

Do you know the difference in these analysis/component?

Thanks in advance!

The component on the bottom of your screenshot is for the old, legacy plugin, which is currently deprecated

The one on the top is for the latest Ladybug Tools (LBT) plugin, which is fully-functional in Rhino 6 and 7.

Other that that, the two components are basically the same. The latest LBT component also has a few improvements to it in how it approximates ground reflected radiation but that’s about it.

Thank for the information @chris

How come the newest one takes double the calculation time? Or might there be different settings in the two @Ertunc ?

Good question and this is directly linked to what I said here:

In LBT, we do the ray tracing for a full sphere around each point so that we can account for the radiation that’s “reflected” off the ground (technically, we’re doing this by assuming an emissive ground hemisphere that has 0.2 the intensity of the sky hemisphere, much in the same way Radiance does). In legacy, we only looked at the radiation coming from the sky dome, which was ok for some purposes but could be 20% less than expected for vertical wall faces. Particularly when we had people trying to use Ladybug Radiation studies to inform HVAC sizing and peak cooling, a margin of error that big just isn’t going to cut it.

Long story short, in LBT, we use twice the number or rays (modeling both ground and sky hemispheres) and so it takes twice as long.

2 Likes