Extracting data easily from a large model - Peak days?

Hi All,

I have a relatively large model, about 5-stories, that is interconnected with atrium spaces. We have run several parametric models for energy and daylighting, and have looked at total annual cooling and peak loads for each levels. Currently, I’m trying to extract the conduction gains/losses and solar gains to the spaces to make better sense of the observations we are making. However, I am finding it quite difficult to extract specific data. If, for example, I find a peak cooling load from a 8760 set of hourly data, how do I know / how can I tell grasshopper to give me the time this is occuring? Similarly, how do I extract the conduction gains/loss and solar gains for this specific point in time as well - or for the whole day?

As always, your help is most appreciated,
Elly

first “Bounds” then “Deconstruct Domain” then “Member Index”

That’s brilliant thanks Erik.

Do you by chance know which component I could use to grab the cooling results, or whichever else, for a specific zone? I’m currently just using the explode component (BANG!), and know the normalised floor area component can give data - but it normalises it, whereas I just want to find a component that will filter the results specific to a zone without normalisation…

You have to use the “HB Read Room Energy Result” but this gives you only the results by room if you use ïdeal Airloads". You can also use the “HB annual loads” component. It is much faster, but you get the results per month and you get the the results foor the whole buiding as one.

I have tried that method, but oddly the peak loads component does not like to accept interior windows. It complains of duplicated fenestrations, which are used to create the interior windows when solving adjacencies (ie made on one zone, then used the output of the aperture to assign to the adjoining zone so an interior window can be created).

The simulations runs fine with OSM but doesn’t for whatever reason using the E+ peak load component.

Would also add that reading the room energy results does not work well if you have solar gains all in one solar enclosure. The solar gains output only projects one branch for the solar enclosure, and then all other branches are for the interior zones to give 8760 results of 0…

I’ve made a separate forum post about this issue today.

It looks like you have to setup your model in a different way.

Not likely - the entire building is connected and open with an atrium going through the entire thing in multiple locations. It just seems it’s more than what honeybee is currently is natively to be able to extract solar data appropriately.

Hi @ElzineBraasch
Normaly HB gives you the energy results per room. See attached file.

2 room.gh (53.0 KB)

Hi Erik,

Yes I am aware. I appreciate it is difficult to help if you don’t fully understand the problem. I’d like to share my gh file, but I am not allowed to distribute the workflow publically, nor show images of the building I am working on.

Instead, I would invite you to picture a 4-storied building, with perimeter and core spaces, with three atriums running through the entire building. Some spaces in the middle are separated from the rest with internal walls, but otherwise the entire building is one whole volume due to the atriums (the atriums are separated by short glass balastrades, which I have just modelled in as air walls. This essentially creates a ‘solar enclosure 1’ as the very first branch when you have a look at the ‘solar gains’ output, and the remainder of the branches provide the solar gain breakdown for all the internal spaces (of course, they are all getting a solar gain of zero).

My problem therefore is that, if I want to know how much solar gain my eastern perimeter space on level 2 is getting, the only option I can see is to look at a cumulative visual result from the HB Room result components… which does not allow me to understand how much solar gains that space is getting at its cooling peak…

Appreciate you trying to help, but this may be a larger issue due to just how complex the model is. I have tried to make it as simplistic as possible, but how does one break up a solar enclosure?

Elly

Hi @ElzineBraasch,

There are a number of discussions on this forum about this topic. Maybe you can find some answers there.

https://discourse.ladybug.tools/search?q=airwalls%20solar%20gains

Thanks, I’ve done some reading of the topics here:

and here:

Seems my issue is due to the airboundaries, and how E+ groups them. It doesn’t seem like I can easily get my answer.

1 Like