Ladybug_Sunlight Hours Analysis geometry self-shading?

Devang,

then we have a mistery because I don’t get the same result using the same procedure.

Look at my images. This is the analyzed box

this is the result

I see that you use a newer version Oct 31 of the 0.0.63 but I use the Aug 10.

But I think is not this the problem.

Anyway I don’t really understand two things:

1 - what kind of measurement is this? You multiply the total sunlight hours by the surface area? This is not an average in my understanding, it look more like a total something. It would make more sense if you would divide the totals of sun light hours for the surface area, in this case it would be a sort of normalized quantity of sunlight hour per facade (h/m2).

2 - if it is not an average, then why the tooltip say “average”

Francesco

Francesco

We, the men of science don’t like mysteries. Do we?

So the area that being multiplied is the area of all the faces that you get when you deconstruct the meshes coming out of analysisMesh output.

I have again attached the example demonstrating how the component is calculating the total Sun light hours. This should work at your end as well. For your other questions as to why this calculation is done this way, perhaps Mostapha can share his point of view.

Total Sunlight Hours.gh (412 KB)

Devang,

yes I understood the principle that you say is at the base of this calculation but

I don´t understand its validity. In this moment I cannot make any test but I think that if it works in that way then when you try different grid sizes (number of test points) the results will be different. Is it so? Is this a valid way to make studies?

When I mention the word “mystery” I didn´t mean how the component works, but why then I don´t get the same result using the calculation you say and from the output totalSunlightHours. I attach again the same image of my previous post if you missed it.

Yes probably we will receive clarifications soon.

Francesco

Did you check try the Gh file I attached in the last reply? With that file you should receive the same result. Alternatively, I could take a look at your file.

The question “Why this calculation was set up this way?” shall be best answered by Mostapha I think.

-Devang

1 - what kind of measurement is this? You multiply the total sunlight hours by the surface area? This is not an average in my understanding, it look more like a total something. It would make more sense if you would divide the totals of sun light hours for the surface area, in this case it would be a sort of normalized quantity of sunlight hour per facade (h/m2).

2 - if it is not an average, then why the tooltip say “average”

Francesco, You’re right on both. The reason I picked area * number of hours, which is a nonsense as a value, over the average is that it let’s you compare two design options against each other using a single value. The tooltip should get fixed.

Mostapha,

thank you for the explanations.

Best,

Francesco

Devang,

I just wanted to say thank you for fixing the description of the totaSunlightHours here:

https://github.com/mostaphaRoudsari/ladybug/commit/ab2245288df29208…

-Chris

Chris,

The commit with regard to this discussion is this. However, I see that somehow it is not merged.