Legacy Ladybug 0.0.69 / Honeybee 0.0.66 and Honeybee[+] 0.0.06 Release

@YASSER_IBRAHIM ,
I wouldn’t go as far to say that you can’t install the forthcoming plugins without this legacy release but, if you don’t use this legacy version and use an older one instead, your Grasshopper tabs are going to be a mess since you will have both the legacy and the new components occupying the same “Ladybug” and “Honeybee” tabs. As you see in the release notes here, barely any other changes have been made in this release apart from the tab name change. So upgrading to this release shouldn’t really affect your existing workflows so I would say it does not hurt to upgrade.

1 Like

Great news!!! Thank you Ladybug team!!!

Hi @chris, there is a new update on food4rhino for lb-hb legacy from the 27/8/20. Does this include Mac support?

cheers

No, the legacy version of the plugins will never be able to work fully on Mac because of the way it was developed. You will know when a fully Mac-compatible version of the plugins has been released when you see “Ladybug Tools [+] Plugins” show up on Food4Rhino some day soon.

The change that was pushed to the Legacy version on Food4Rhino yesterday was just because the latest Rhino update broke the sun position calculation in the Ladybug code and so we just wanted everyone who installs the component from Food4Rhino to have this fix going forward.

I noticed that there are seven init.py files in this release that have no information. I am not able to upload these to our SharePoint online servers for firm-wide release.

Are these files needed if they are empty? If the file itself is required to exist even if empty can I add an inert character like “x” into the file without causing issues?

@LelandCurtis ,
All of the files within the Rhinoceros/6.0/scripts folder are used exclusively by the Honeybee[+] plugin and NOT the legacy plugins. All of the code of the legacy plugins is contained within the UserObjects and .gha files. So you don’t need to copy those files in the scripts folder if you just want to do a firm-wide update of the legacy plugins.

If you are trying to install Honeybee[+] 0.0.06 firm-wide, then you will definitely need the __init__.py files as they are necessitated by the conventions of Python packages. The latest [+] plugins that are currently undergoing testing use a similar setup of external Python packages but we have a single-click executable installer in the works for these in-development plugins that is designed specifically for cases like office-wide installation. So I might recommend waiting a little bit longer for our release of this installer to do an office-wide [+] deployment.

1 Like

Hi @LelandCurtis, if the issue is files being empty you can just add a commentted line inside the file. The line should start with a #.

# not an empty file
1 Like

Hello everyone,
Will Honeybee legacy and honeybee plus support latest version of radiance 5.3?

Yes it does. Honeybee plus components are working fine with 5.3 version of radiance.

1 Like

Yes. In fact, some of the new features in Radiance 5.3 were ones that we had Greg implement specifically for the Ladybug Tools plugins currently under development. So, pretty soon when we release the new plugins, it’s going to be a requirement to use Radiance 5.3.

Also a big thanks goes to @MingboPeng for setting up the automated releases that you now see on the Radiance Github. He solved many issues that will make it much easier to release Radiance installers going forward.

4 Likes

Wonderful. Yes Radiance 5.3 document itself shows so many improvements since last release.
Thanks for inspiring and enlightning us. Hope the new plugins is released soon. Cheers to the whole community.

@Chris thanks for all this. I used the update commands for LB and HB on the GH canvas. Now I have legacy versions for both. So should I now be using the legacy versions (I still have the older LB and HB - but their command icons)?
Also, when I start up GH, I get this message
Is there anyway to resolve this or should I just ignore it?
Thanks so much!

Excuse me. When will plugin Butterfly be updated? It’s not good and comprehensive enough to compete with other architecture CFD software. Butterfly is just like an abandoned and ignored plugin in this Ladybug System. Thanks.

It will take us some time before being able to re-start the development for Butterfly but we haven’t forgotten about it.

Thanks for your response. As for me, AKL Flowdesigner is the best and comprehensive CFD software for architecture CFD I’ve ever seen on the market. However it’s not free and very expensive. But it could be a good reference for Butterfly. I’m looking forward to see the progress of Butterfly. Thanks.

@chris Great! Thanks for news.
I’m using Ladybug Tools 1.5.0 and Legacy Ladybug 0.0.69/Honeybee 0.0.66.
But when I install Honeybee[+] 0.0.06 , I see error like “Failed to import honeybee_plus. No modul named honeybe_plus.radiance…”
Please check image and tell me the solution. Thanks

Hi all, can you confirm this is the latest legacy version? Also, does this version work with Rhino 7 or only Rhino 6?

But, in the meantime, it still works, though perhaps not with the latest version of OpenFoam.

Whilst not simple, it seems to me that butterfly can produce pressure matrices that drive v1.5 natural ventilation already, just not seamlessly?

2 Likes

Dear MichaelDonn,
Thanks for replay, I fixed it!

I’m using Rhino 7 , and I fixed this error! Thanks