Legacy to LBT 1.x Advice

as my team is more and more converting our legacy scripts to utilizing the new LBT 1.x components, I have (2) hurdles that it would be great to get some advice on as I’m sure there are workflows that I’m missing that would be significant effectiveness boosters!

Hurdle 1 | Exterior Surface Analysis | Mesh vs Brep

the ‘HB Visualize by Type’ component in LBT 1.x outputs meshes unlike the Legacy component that outputs breps…i’m not a fan of meshes! I’m feeding the output of the Visualize by Type into the LB Generate Point Grid in order to do a HB Irradiance analysis which is resulting in all my test surfaces being triangulated…how can i get back to brep test surfaces with better linear test point alignment?

Hurdle 2 | Legend Units conversion to IP

in Legacy components, most visualization components had a ‘LegendBasePt’ output that i could copy a legend and convert the results to the units i wanted. How can i take a thermal comfort analysis that outputs operative temperature in deg C and easily output the legend in deg F? hopefully this is low-hanging fruit @chris that I am missing!

thanks!

Hey @josh.greenfield ,

When it comes to Honeybee, virtually all of the legacy workflows can be recreated in LBT.

Instead of using the HB Visualize by Type component, which is only meant to visualize models (and uses meshes to help with coloring and scaling for large models), you should use the HB Faces by Type component, which is effectively the same as the Legacy component that you cite. The only major difference is that, if you want to get a certain set of Faces/Apertures as breps, you should pass them through the HB Visualize All or the HB Visualize Quick components, which will return Brep versions of the honeybee geometry.

I don’t quite follow how this is related to unit conversions but the Legend geometries that are output from the LBT Grasshopper components can be treated like any other grasshopper geometry so, if you need a lower-left base point, then just take the bounding box around it and evaluate it at 0, 0 like so:

legend_base_point.gh (30.1 KB)

It depends on what format this Operative Temperature is in. If it’s a DataCollection, just use the LB To IP component before doing anything else with the data collection. Or you can use the LB To Unit component if you want it in Kelvin or something non-standard.

Otherwise, if what you have is just a list of numbers, you can use the LB Unit Converter component to change the numbers over into the right units and then use some component like the LB Spatial Heatmap to make a new visualization with a legend_title_ that matches your new units.

2 Likes