Severe errors during Energy Simulation in Honeybee

Hi everyone, my first time here, I started using honeybee recently for my master’s degree, and during an energy simulation some severe errors popped up, was wondering if anyone could help me with this
? I watched the tutorial for Honeybee that Chris Mackey did, and followed suit to it, but unfortunately, I seriously don’t know what happened.
The data shown in the output of the simulation was this one bellow:
{0;0;0}
0. Current document units is in Meters

1. Conversion to Meters will be applied = 1.000
  2. Current document units is in Meters
  3. Conversion to Meters will be applied = 1.000
  4. [1 of 8] Writing simulation parameters…
  5. [2 of 8] No context surfaces…
  6. [3 of 8] Writing geometry…
  7. [4 of 8] Writing Electric Load Center - Generator specifications …
  8. [5 of 8] Writing materials and constructions…
  9. [6 of 8] Writing schedules…
  10. [7 of 8] Writing loads and ideal air system…
  11. [8 of 8] Writing outputs…

12. … idf file is successfully written to : c:\ladybug\unnamed\EnergyPlus\unnamed.idf
  13. Analysis is running!..

Done! Read below for errors and warnings:

1. Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 9.3.0-baff08990c, YMD=2020.06.23 16:26,
  2. ** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_method] - “AverageOverDaysInFrequency” - Failed to match against any enum values.
  3. ** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_update_frequency_method] - “30” - Failed to match against any enum values.
  4. ** Warning ** Version: in IDF=“9.0.0” not the same as expected=“9.3”
  5. ** Fatal ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.
  6. …Summary of Errors that led to program termination:
  7. … Reference severe error count=2
  8. … Last severe error=[ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_update_frequency_method] - “30” - Failed to match against any enum values.
  9. ************* Warning: Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).
  10. ************* Fatal error – final processing. Program exited before simulations began. See previous error messages.
  11. ************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
  12. ************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
  13. ************* EnergyPlus Terminated–Fatal Error Detected. 1 Warning; 2 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min 0.28sec

Since I’m a new user, I can’t upload my GH file, if anyone wants to take a look I can upload on Google Drive.
Warm regards

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_method] - “AverageOverDaysInFrequency” - Failed to match against any enum values.
  2. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_update_frequency_method] - “30” - Failed to match against any enum values.
  3. The simulation has failed because of this fatal error:
    ** Fatal ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wHP4A1KPrddCJvOx1EhQQFYaNmML2ViT?usp=sharing

Here’s the link for the file I’m using, if anyone could help me with this one I’d very much appreciate it :slight_smile:

It has probably something to do with the version of energyplus you installed.
With energyplus 9.3 the changed the way of shadow calulation.

(As mentioned in the EnergyPlus 9.3.0 update log, gpus can be used to accelerate computation - #3 by chris)

Interesting stuff. The GPU calculation documentation is here under the InputOutput reference:
https://bigladdersoftware.com/epx/docs/9-3/input-output-reference/group-simulation-parameters.html#inputs-10-019

It looks like the whole ShadowCalculation object got an overhaul in E+ 9.3, which is likely to break some things in honeybee. It also seems like this GPU method is slower but it gives users a means to run detailed indoor solar distribution without needing to worry about concave zones (something I know a lot of people on this forum will be happy about).

The best I can offer until we upgrade honeybee is to write out an IDF, upgrade it to 9.3 by opening it in the IDFEditor, manually change the ShadowCalculation object, save it, and use the Rerun IDF component to run the model through E+ and import results to Grasshopper.

Once we upgrade honeybee, you’ll be able to do this all in a more streamlined manner like by using a OpenStudio Measure.

https://discourse.ladybug.tools/t/as-mentioned-in-the-energyplus-9-3-0-update-log-gpus-can-be-used-to-accelerate-computation/9640/2

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll try it out here and see how it goes

Hello,
i ran into this same issue.
did you find a solution for it?

Hi Mohamed, still did not find a solution for it, still getting the same problem :confused:

1 Like

Anyone solved this problem yet?, please​:broken_heart::broken_heart::man_facepalming:

Yes, this has been solved for months. You need to be using the latest HB-legacy on Food4Rhino, which is compatible with EnergyPlus 9.3. Or, if you want to keep using your old version of honeybee legacy, you can use an older version of OpenStudio/EnergyPlus (like OpenStudio 2.5).

Or you can just use the new LBT plugin that was released a couple of weeks ago, that works with EnergyPlus 9.3 and OpenStudio 3.0.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Chris, the fatal error is solved now.
despite i updated the honeybee tools before but i installed open studio 2.5 instead of update it too.
but…:man_facepalming: the definition is still not working.
it gives me a whole list of errors and no result is previewed
as a new user i can`t upload the graph but any way this is the report i get:

Current document units is in Meters
Conversion to Meters will be applied = 1.000
Current document units is in Meters
Conversion to Meters will be applied = 1.000
[1 of 8] Writing simulation parameters…
Can’t find ddy file next to the EPW.
Extreme values from the weather file design will be used instead.
[2 of 8] No context surfaces…
[3 of 8] Writing geometry…
[4 of 8] Writing Electric Load Center - Generator specifications …
[5 of 8] Writing materials and constructions…
[6 of 8] Writing schedules…
[7 of 8] Writing loads and ideal air system…
[8 of 8] Writing outputs…

… idf file is successfully written to : c:\ladybug\unnamed\EnergyPlus\unnamed.idf

Analysis is running!..

Done! Read below for errors and warnings:

Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 9.4.0-998c4b761e, YMD=2020.10.13 12:57,

** Severe ** Line: 896 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 896 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 897 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 921 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 921 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 922 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 946 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 946 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 947 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1046 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1046 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 3.8693063259124756;

** Severe ** Line: 1047 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1161 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1161 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1162 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1186 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1186 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1187 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1211 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1211 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1212 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1401 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1401 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1402 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1426 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1426 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1427 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1451 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1451 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** ~~~ 4.0;

** Severe ** Line: 1452 Index: 4 - “4.0” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1501 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1501 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 1502 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1691 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1691 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 1692 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1766 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1766 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 1767 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1906 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1906 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 1907 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 1956 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 1956 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 1957 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** Line: 2006 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.

** Severe ** Line: 2006 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.

** Severe ** Line: 2007 Index: 19 - “3.8693063259124756” is not a valid Object Type.

** Severe ** [RunPeriod][customRun][day_of_week_for_start_day] - “Yes” - Failed to match against any enum values.

** Severe ** [RunPeriod][customRun][end_day_of_month] - Value type “string” for input “UseWeatherFile” not permitted by ‘type’ constraint.

** Severe ** [RunPeriod][customRun][end_month] - “31” - Expected number less than or equal to 12.000000

** Severe ** [RunPeriod][customRun][end_year] - Value type “string” for input “Yes” not permitted by ‘type’ constraint.

** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_method] - “AverageOverDaysInFrequency” - Failed to match against any enum values.

** Severe ** [ShadowCalculation][ShadowCalculation 1][shading_calculation_update_frequency_method] - “30” - Failed to match against any enum values.

** Severe ** [json.exception.type_error.302] type must be string, but is null

************* Warning: Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).

************* Fatal error – final processing. Program exited before simulations began. See previous error messages.

************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.

************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.

************* EnergyPlus Terminated–Fatal Error Detected. 0 Warning; 71 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min 0.20sec

You did not uninstall your newer version of EnergyPlus.

Im really sorry chris i know i started bothering you by now, but i updated energy plus and installed 9.4 version and it gives me the same errors and i dont know actually what`s the wrong.
thanks for your caring and sorry about annoying you like this.:heart::heart:

@mellabban ,
Make sure that OpenStudio 2.5 is the only version of OpenStudio installed on your system and you do not have any standalone installations of EnergyPlus installed. You should NOT have EnergyPlus 9.4 installed.

2 Likes

“1. Solution exception:‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\u639’ in position 161: ordinal not in range(128)”
Hey chris, i reinstalled everything but this is what i go​:man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

You have the following character somewhere in your zone names, material definitions, etc:

EnergyPlus only accepts names that use ASCII characters.

1 Like

thanks chris it was in the address itself and i solve it, now we`re back again to the same error.:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::joy::joy:
i think i should shift career it would be easier than this.:joy::broken_heart::broken_heart:

Hi! Have you tried to recreate the geometry and the workflow?

Hello dear
I got these errors in my simulation, and I updated all software

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** Line: 993 Index: 2 - Object contains more field values than maximum number of IDD fields and is not extensible.
  2. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** Line: 993 Index: 2 - Error parsing “FenestrationSurface:Detailed”. Error in following line.
  3. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** ~~~ 2.7720000743865967;