Unable to install Ladybug Tools 1.0.0 on Rhino6 Mac

Hello,

I’ve downloaded Ladybug Tools 1.0.0 for Rhino6 on Mac (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6) from Food4Rhino and followed instructions from here: https://github.com/ladybug-tools/lbt-grasshopper/wiki/1.2-Mac-Installation-Steps

I opened the Installer.gh and followed the instructions however it seems that Component 2 didnt do what it needed to do which was download the Ladybug Tools core libraries into the Python installation that I’ve received from Component 1. As a result, the library of default assets (constructions, schedules, modifiers, etc.) werent download into the \ladybug_tools\resources\standards directory.

Attached is a screenshot showing the error I received upon toggling the second component

Any help is appreciated,

Hi @narkocoy and thank you for reporting this. This seems to be because of how we have built the Python distribution for Ladybug Tools on Mac. @MingboPeng, do you know how this can be fixed.

Also, @narkocoy, can you copy one of the error messages here as text. It’s really hard to read. Thanks.

Hi @mostapha thanks for the response,

Below are the contents of the error messages:

{0;0}
  1. Installing Ladybug Tools core Python libraries.
  2. Installing lbt-dragonfly[cli]==0.5.1 via pip using
    /Users/narz/ladybug_tools/python/bin/python3
  3. dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
    Referenced from: /Users/narz/ladybug_tools/python/bin/python3 (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
    Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Users/narz/ladybug_tools/python/bin/python3 (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)

1. Installing Queenbee core Python libraries.
  2. Installing queenbee-luigi[cli]==0.5.6 via pip using

1. Installing ladybug-rhino Python library.
  2. Installing ladybug-rhino[cli]==1.19.1 via pip using

1. Installing Ladybug Tools Grasshopper components.
  2. Installing lbt-grasshopper==1.0.0 via pip using

1. Installing ladybug-grasshopper-dotnet==1.0.1 via pip using
  2. dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin

1. Installing Honeybee recipes.
  2. Installing honeybee-radiance-recipe==0.3.1 via pip using

1. Installing Honeybee-OpenStudio gem version 2.6.5.

2. Downloading “honeybee-openstudio-gem” github repository to: /Users/narz/ladybug_tools/resources/measures

3. Copying “honeybee_openstudio_gem” source code to /Users/narz/ladybug_tools/resources/measures/honeybee_openstudio_gem/lib

4. Installing Honeybee energy standards.

5. Installing honeybee-energy-standards==2.0.3 via pip using

6. dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin

1. Installing Ladybug Tools standards libraries (constructions, schedules, etc.).
  2. Installing honeybee-standards==2.0.0 via pip using

1. Restart Grasshopper and Rhino to load the new components + library.

Please let me know should you need anything else from my end,

Many thanks,

Apparently our python doesn’t like Mac 10.13. I am not sure what’s the best way to address it from our side. We will need a 10.13 Mac machine to create a Python for 10.13, or you update your system to 10.15.

As Mingbo says, this is because the build of Python we are using is intended for a later version of Mac OS. So the fastest solution is to upgrade your OS. If you’re not able to do this, maybe we can try to get a Python that will work only with your OS. But it’s likey going to be a hack and there’s going to be a cutoff for how old of a version of Mac OS we are able to support just like there is for windows.

Hello,

First of all thank you for providing such a great tool for mac users also!
I have the same issue being on macOS 10.13.6
We would greatlly appreciate if you guys could provide a build of Python that is compatible with 10.13.6

Thank you!

@Andrei ,

I feel the need to emphasize that any build of Python like that is going to be very hacky. In other words, it will take several steps to install it, we won’t be able to test it, and it is not something that we’ll officially support. So it’s MUCH better if you upgrade your OS.

Can you confirm that your machine is too old that you are unable to upgrade your OS? This is really the only case where it’s worth considering a hack like this.

Thank you for your considerate answer!

Unfortunately my Mac Pro 5.1 from 2013 that has enough computational resources cannot be updated to macOS 10.15

I would happily upgrade the OS but it’s not possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Another topic that I wanted to ask about and I apologize for posting it here is if you guys would be interested to organize a workshop/lecture in Romania, Cluj-Napoca at the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning related to your work in the near future?

I would be glad to help in making this happen!

There is one user tested it on macOS 10.14 and all works fine.

I checked apple’s website: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190.
It seems Mac Pro 2013 is compatible with macOS 10.14.

@Andrei ,

Mingbo is correct. You don’t need to upgrade to Catalina. Mojave should be fine. From a quick search, it looks like your Mac would have to be from 2009 or 2010 in order to be unable to run Mojave:

actually Mojave runs on the cheesegraters from 2010, if you have a newer metal compatible AMD card swapped in (not the latest, because you won’t have official drivers to run a 5700XT for example, AFAIK).

Hi! Thanks for all the information provided,

I’ve started to learn GH since few months and My mac is not able to upgrade to Mojave ( 10.14 ). i am currently in (10.13.6)

I wonder if there is any Python created which can work with my OS after this topic was discussed till now? i would so much appreciate that!

Thank you in advance !

It’s really not a matter of a Python build existing that works on a 10-year-old Mac. It’s the fact that you would have to assemble this Python yourself along with the Ladybug core libraries. Unless you have built Python before, it’s really just much better to buy a new computer. Or just get Windows and install it with boot camp if getting a new Mac is too expensive.