View analysis in certain radius

Hi all,

I am wondering how to use the view analysis within an area (e.g. 1000m) but not the whole geometry. Is it possible to do that with the Ladybug view analysis component?

Best,
-HC

To clarify, you want to discount certain view vectors if the intersection with context happens beyond a certain distance? There isn’t a way to easily do it in Legacy but hacking the LBT view components to do it is not terribly difficult.

What type of view vectors are you using? Is is spherical view or sky exposure or horizontal radial view?

hi @chris,

Does LBT components mean this? LBT[+] - OutdoorSolarMRT & UTCI

I am using “viewpoint” for the view vector. I guess it is spherical?

Best,
-HC

Yes, it means the release here that was done a little over 2 weeks ago:

If you are studying visibility to points, then my previous question isn’t relevant. In the new plugin, we have tried to distinguish studies of view (like view to the outdoors and sky view) from studies of visibility, which are concerned with assessing whether an object or a set of points are visible. There are two separate components for these types of studies in the new LBT plugin and you just want to use the “LB Visibility Percent” component. Now I understand your question. Essentially, you want to account for the fact that, at a certain distance away, an object might not be considered visible even though there’s an unobstructed line of sight to it.

Your suggestion sounded like a useful one and so I just added a max_dist_ input to the “LB Visibility Percent” component in the LBT plugin:

visibility_study_max_dist.gh (20.5 KB)

To get the component to run on your side, you will need to follow two steps:

1. Install the new LBT plugin
  2. After installation, run the “LB Versioner” component to get the latest development version of the plugin, which has the max_dist_ input on the “LB Visibility Percent” component.

There are also some (much less efficient) ways of getting this type of functionality with native Grasshopper components if you don’t want to install the latest development version of the plugin. Let me know and I can put together a sample.

1 Like

Hi @chris,

Thanks for the excellent update, especially the view distance and URBANopt Integration

Best,
-HC

Works good in my device. Thanks for the update!

-HC

1 Like