Adaptive Comfort Analysis

Hello community,

I would like to share the Adaptive Comfort Analysis that we have run on a building locate din London and if possible having your opinion on the results.

I have used the algorithm downloaded from Hydra and adapted to our modular tower.

Input module and window geometries

(Please see image below column 1 - img 1)

The apartment module and glazed surface have been input in the algorithm. The default Glazing size has been set as 1660 x 1775mm equal to an area of 2.895m2

• Input data

Building Program

(Please image below see column 1 - img 2)

The “Apartment” building program input in the algorithm will influence how loads are calculated (see img below- bottom part).

Is Conditioned?

Input has been set on True, to calculate the zone to be conditioned with an Ideal Air Loads System

Input Context

(Please see image below column 1 - img 3)

• Reading the analysis

Grasshopper outputs

(Please see image below column 2 - img 1)

The first diagram shows in a gradient of colours the degrees of difference from the ideal comfort temperature.

As we can infer it seems that during the summer period the person will experience a range between 1 and 3.3 degrees over the ideal comfort temperature which occasionally are causing discomfort.

Question1: How is it possible that inside the analyzed volume there is a comfortable temperature during all winter, while during summer, it is colder during the morning?

Important: Please bear in mind that this analysis has been run with the Ideal Loads Air System turned ON. Interestingly, we have tried to run an experiment without the Ideal Air Loads System, Air System turned OFF.

(Please see image below column 2 - img 2)

Question2: The apartment is located in a tower where I suppose adjacent apartments may influence the comfort level with their heating system. Despite this fact, is it possible that the person inside the building may feel cold during over 90% of the time?

Additionally, I have then added this component which I thought might calibrate the results over the European standards rather than Americans.

(Please see image below column 3 - img 1)

The results are the following:

• With “Is Conditioned” parameter OFF

(Please see image below column 3 - img 2)

• With “Is conditioned ” parameter ON

(Please see image below column 3 - img 3)

Question 3: Could someone help me to understand the difference between these data and why with “is conditioned” set on ON the comfort disappears?

Thanks in advance

Apologies for the long text.

The Adaptive comfort model is only intended for use in naturally ventilated unconditioned buildings. And your case here is kinda proving why this is the case. It seems the thermostat setpoints for the conditioned space are too cold for the Adaptive comfort model. I’d suggest using the PMV model if you are trying to evaluate comfort in a conditioned space. Or make the model unconditioned and naturally ventilated if you want to use the Adaptive model correctly

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your answer. As you suggested I have opted for the Adaptive comfort Analysis, unconditioned and naturally ventilated without cross-ventilation.
I have also reduced the analysis time to the summer time only and between the hours 9-18, and I have noticed that “too hot&too cold” percentages are varying more sensibly, compared to the previous test run on the whole year and day.

I have got an additional question if I may…
I have analysed an apartment located in the same x,y coordinates but at different heights, respectively floor 5 and floor 30. The Adaptive Comfort results indicate that the floor at level 5 has an higher “too hot” discomfort comparing with the one at level 30. Could you perhaps explain why this happen?
[Uploading: image.png…]

()

Am I wrong to assume that, the apartment located on floor 30 would receive more sun than the one located at level 05, hence shouldn’t be the level 30’s apartment the one with higher “too hot” discomfort?

Thank you in advance

Andrea

You should look at the energy balance of the room for this one , @andrea.rolle . That will tell you what terms (eg. solar, conduction, lighting. etc.) are driving the thermal conditions within the room.