Adjacencies for central service core not working

Hello everyone,

I want to test different glazing ratios for a basic rectangular high-rise floor plan with a service core in the center, in order to minimize the energy demand. Problem is, the glazing is added also to the interior walls which are dividing the core from the open office area. I cannot solve the adjacencies properly, I searched for a solution to this problem and I found in other posts that the problem should be either with the tolerances or the fact that the core is in the center of the geometry. I tried to change the tolerance but nothing is working. I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me. I attached the script below if you would like to have a look.

2021.10.13_Glz Ratio Optimization.gh (618.6 KB)

Kind regards,
Cristina

@cristina07 it’s definitiely the donut shape of the zone causing issues. Just split your zone like this:

Technically you only need one subdivision to get rid of the donut space, but since you have a very large, highly glazed floor with vastly different solar exposure per orientation, one zone significantly underestimates local temperature differences across the floor. You should split it into at least four zones per orientation.

Hi @SaeranVasanthakumar!

Thanks for your reply! I’ll try it out and let you know. I hope it will solve the issue.

Cristina

Hi @cristina07,

With the latest LBT 1.3 it should work.

See this discusion:

But what @SaeranVasanthakumar points out is true. It is better to split up the room geometry.

1 Like

Good point, I forgot about the LB+ updates. It looks like she’s using HB-legacy so may not apply in her case though.

Horraay, it worked! Thanks for the solution @SaeranVasanthakumar and @Erikbeeren :slight_smile: