Air to Water Heat Pumps with Honeybee?

Hello,

I’d like to model Air to Water heat pumps with Honeybee, possibly without using Ironbug since my script is already pretty heavy. A simplified but reasonable method could be also fine.

My understanding is that the Honeybee “HVAC System” component only allows to model Air to Air heat pumps based on ASHRAE Standard 90.1 and, if no “Heating Details” are supplied with the proper component, the default ones are used.

I tried to modify the C:\openstudio-2.5.0\Resources\default\hvac_library to have better control of the default parameters but, apparently, it did not affect the simulation: I opened the osm file in Openstudio to check.

Does anyone know how I could model AWHP? Is it realistically possible?
I know that this might seem odd but since I’m only interested in heating demand, would it be possible to consider a certain COP as a proxy for the fact that I’m using a different kind of system?

Thank you for your help!

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop the question back to the top because I am also curious. Is there a chance without Ironbug or is that mandatory?

Hey @FEng ,

A lot has changed since @Vins_a originally asked this question in reference to Legacy Honeybee.

In the new LBT 1.6 plugin, there are over 100 different “template” HVAC systems that you can apply to your Rooms, which give you fully-detailed systems without the need to use Ironbug. Of these ~100, there are about ~10 or so that have the word “ASHP” within them. Essentially all of these ASHP systems use an Air-to-Water Heat Pump to generate hot water for the rest of the system, whether it’s a for fan coil units, a VAV system, etc. So you can use those to get a general sense of what to expect with a Heat Pump that generates hot water from the air.