Atmos Lab is an independent environmental design consultancy based in London.
We believe that architecture has a major role to play in reducing carbon emissions and ensuring users’ comfort by design. Our work builds on a unique blend of environmental engineering, architecture and research and aims to design out energy intensive systems.
We are excited to have won several important projects of social housing, offices, hotels and commercial that push the boundaries of contemporary architecture and environmental design. We are currently looking for a full-time Environmental Specialist to join our office, in London.
Day to day responsibilities
The successful candidate will be involved in a wide range of projects located in various climates. Beyond regulation compliance and ticking boxes, we are looking for a specialist to conduct analysis and give recommendations throughout multiple design stages, from competition to project delivery.
On a day to day basis, the candidate will:
- Attend and participate in project strategy charettes.
- Undertake environmental modelling to inform design decisions from concept design to detailed design and delivery.
- Conduct state-of-the art thermal modelling to assess thermal comfort and building energy demand on an iterative basis.
- Building of large, computing-intense daylight and solar analysis models.
- Assist with the production of CFD models.
- Assist with report writing, production and quality assessment.
- Assist with graphic design and data visualization.
- Illustrate environmental strategies and analysis results in a clear & concise manner for non-technical stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for small projects and individual assessments.
The candidate must demonstrate a strong interest in environmental design and architecture as well as the following skills:
- Knowledge of relevant passive design strategies in a wide range of climates and building programmes.
- Sound knowledge of thermal and energy modelling and demonstrable experience
- Interest to constantly learn and develop analysis workflows, tools and/or research-based analysis metrics.
- Proficiency with the following software packages is mandatory and exclusive:
- Adobe creative suite.
- At least 1 year of previous work experience in architecture, engineering, consulting or any other fast-paced environment within the AEC Industry.
- Ability to prioritize and execute numerous project responsibilities simultaneously.
- Creative thinking, high working standards and a keen eye for detail.
What we are looking for
Atmos Lab provides a unique consulting service based on research, environmental analysis and sound architectural understanding. We help our clients push the boundaries of the discipline to go beyond regulations and green certification systems. Therefore, profound understanding of the science behind any environmental assessment is required.
Although previous experience with local codes and regulation compliance is not necessary, the capacity to efficiently research and adapt their expertise to new regulatory contexts is expected.
The specialist will have an architectural background with at least a bachelor’s in architecture or building engineering. A master’s degree in Sustainable Environmental Design or similar is required.
The specialist must have excellent communication skills and feel comfortable in a constantly evolving and challenging work environment.
Not required but desirable skills
- LEED AP, BREEAM or WELL professional accreditations
- Fundamentals of HVAC systems, such as system types, working principles and controls and their suitability for a given project
- Basic coding skills in C# or Python
- OpenFoam, Radiance
- French (conversational or professional)
Atmos Lab is a young and collaborative work environment that promotes excellence in our practice and encourages the participation of all team members in the design process. All team members are encouraged to contribute to the development of our young practice and we are committed to investing in our staff’s long-term success and their professional skills. We operate a flexible working scheme to support a balanced working life in the thriving city of London.
Atmos Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity in the workplace.
If all the above sounds good, we are willing to hear from you!
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org including your resume, cover letter and a portfolio with relevant design, modelling and/or research work. Please use the subject: “Environmental Specialist Application”.