Atrium HVAC Inlet with Openfoam

Hi there,

I am new to Butterfly and OpenFoam. I would like to do an analysis of a series of diffusers on the top part of an atrium for a thermal comfort analysis. I am having a hard time trying to understand what I am doing wrong. I am seeing that most of the diffusers are actually not pointing in the desired direction but I am not sure why. Does anybody done something similar before? could you point me out where is my mistake?
Furthermore, I would like to add the effect of the peoples heat gain, in my understanding I should add a geometry with the people surface and a heat flux, however I am not sure if this can be done from Butterfly or is required some coding.
I would also like to know if the inlet boundary is the right component for this case and why I should not use the inlet flow-rate boundary component instead, could somebody explain me under which situations is more convenient to use one or the other?

Indoor comfort HB + CFD Butterfly test.gh (213.3 KB)

Thanks in advance

Hi @Julioamodia89,

I tried simulating a dispenser in Butterfly/Openfoam. The results for me where not usable. You have to know a lot about CFD basics. Which airflow model to use etc. Josezsef Magy has a lot of tutorials about simulating with openfoam and cfd. Perhaps this will help you.

1 Like

Thank you for the hint.

Hi @Erikbeeren, after seeing Jozsef Nagy tutorials, I have tried everything and still I have the same error: the supply air is going in different directions but the vectors’ directions. I don’t know where is my mistake.

Hi @Julioamodia89

I had the same problem and my knowledge was not enough to solve it, so at a certain moment I stopped with the project. I know simscale has prebuilt set-ups for dealing with these kind of problems.

Hi @Erikbeeren ,

If it helps, I found out the mistake. By modeling and naming surface by surface and assigning the inlets and outlets to a boundary independently (one by one), it did the job. Also is very important, unlike the energy model that the containing zone and the inlets and outlets do not overlap.
I hope I explain myself properly. With these two actions, it should work.

1 Like

Hi @Julioamodia89,

Thank you for sharing. When I have time I will give it a try.