Best way to test impact of solar film

HI Folks,

What would be the best way to study the impact of applying solar film inside a window?

I am thinking adding a brep (maybe using a HB context shading) and locating it in the same plane as the glass and adjusting the transparency of the brep material. Although I plan to apply the film on the inside of the window, I feel the effect would be as if the glazing and film are in plane. Would this be a right assumption?

Thanks,

Hi Ibby, You need to be more specific to get help on this question. Here is a couple to start:

1. Is it a daylighting study or energy or both?

2. If daylighting, is it an annual study?

3. What are the information that you have about the solar film?

Mostapha

Hi Mostapha,

I have some large windows (double height volume space) facing west and are getting baked by radiation in the summer due to solar radiation. Replacing glazing would be too expensive. I am thinking of applying film. I have seen some decorative/ frit like films. See link to one of the designs below. But before making the decision to buy and install the film. I am looking for Honeybee data to guide my decision.

I am assuming this film has 50 % opacity (dot frit ratio). I plan to model the frit as a surface and run both daylight and energy studies.

For Daylight I am thinking couple of hourly studies with radiance should give me a good idea of the resulting reduction in illuminance and solar radiation. I did not think of running an annual study but may be I will run one.

For the energy model I am not very sure hence the post on the forum. I was thinking adding a brep (maybe using a HB context shading) and locating it in the same plane as the glass. Although I plan to apply the film on the inside of the window, I feel the effect would be as if the glazing and film are in plane. Would this be a right assumption

I did some shading studies with location of the brep. I find that if brep is located outside the window I see huge reduction in cooling load. if brep is located in-plane with the glazing, i see some reduction in cooling load. if brep is located inside the glazing, i don’t see any reduction in cooling load. Hence i am confused as all the film manufacturers say there will be significant reduction in cooling load. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,

https://www.decorativefilm.com/3m-fasara-sh2fgim-illumina-50-high