BSDF material: Honeybee or Honeybee Plus?

Hello everyone! I am curious on whether the BSDF material should be used in honeybee or honeybee plus. As we all know, honeybee plus add 3-phase method which is a normal way for simulation with bsdf material. But in Honeybee-radiance, there is still a component for BSDF modifier, which got me thinking that what situation we should be able to use this component in just honeybee( not honeybee +).

Hi @mostapha, could you take a look at this?

@mikkel is the right person to help you with this. Are you trying to use the 3-phase method or just using the BSDF material in the Radiance scene?

I have organized the questions more clearly:

1. If it is a point-in-time situation with BSDF material, should I use honeybee or honeybee plus?

2. If it is a annual situation with BSDF material, it seems that I could use honeybee-radiance(2-phase, enhanced 2-phase), and honeybeeplus (3-phase) to successfully run the simulation. What difference would it make?

3. Further, to continue with question2, the modeling method of a honeybeeroom in honeybee and honeybee + is different. If I want to use use the same modelling method to run daylight and thermal simulation, it seems that I can only make it happen in honeybee, not honeybee +. But if I want to use 3-phase simulation for daylighting, I will have to build two types of model, one for daylight, one for thermal. Is there any simpler way?

@mostapha @mikkel could you take a look? Thanks a lot!

Hi @threegreen,

Sorry for the delayed response.

1. I don’t think I have ever used the point-in-time recipe in HB[+], but I believe it is identical to the one in HB-Radiance.

2. You can also use the DC Grid-based recipe in HB[+]. This is similar to the enhanced 2-phase recipe. But to answer your question, the main benefit of the 3-phase recipe is that you can take advantage of the matrix multiplication, where your BSDF file is one of the matrices in the calculation. This means that you can swap it out for another BSDF file without doing any ray tracing again. If I only had one BSDF file I would prefer to use the enhanced 2-phase method. So it depends.

3. There is no way to translate the models between HB[+] and and the new HB Model schema, so you would have to create two models. The alternative is to add the 3-phase recipe to HB-Radiance.

Hi @mikkel,

I am curious whether the enhanced 2-phase method can be applied to point-in-time view-based simulation. In the current version of honeybee-radiance, it seems that the point-in-time view-based simulation is using 2-phase method.

Hi @threegreen,

The point-in-time-view recipe is not using the 2-phase method. It uses rpict to do a single rendering for the sky input. You can use BSDFs in point-in-time-view but if you are going to run a glare analysis, you probably want to use a tensor tree BSDF or possibly use the aBSDF type, which is using a peak extraction method.

You might also want to look at the document that I linked to in the comment below on the Radiance discourse.

1 Like