Butterfly Error - Cannot satisfy memory request

Hello!

Today I tried to create a simple outdoor airflow analysis with Butterfly and received an error while trying to blockmesh. The error message is as follows:

SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\akiwya.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i 4c9bb2f7444b pgrep snappyHexMesh
SET DOCKER_TLS_VERIFY=1&SET DOCKER_HOST=tcp://192.168.99.100:2376&SET DOCKER_CERT_PATH=C:\Users\akiwya.docker\machine\machines\default&SET DOCKER_MACHINE_NAME=default&docker exec -i 4c9bb2f7444b pgrep snappyHexMesh
Butterfly is running blockMesh. PID: 1837

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/> | ========= | |
| \ / F ield | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox |
| \ / O peration | Version: v1612+ |
| \ / A nd | Web: www.OpenFOAM.com |
| \/ M anipulation | |
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Build : v1612+
Exec : blockMesh
Date : May 22 2017
Time : 08:51:50
Host : “default”
PID : 1837
Case : /home/ofuser/workingDir/butterfly/outdoor_airflow
nProcs : 1
sigFpe : Enabling floating point exception trapping (FOAM_SIGFPE).
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster (fileModificationSkew 10)
allowSystemOperations : Allowing user-supplied system call operations

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Creating block mesh from
“/home/ofuser/workingDir/butterfly/outdoor_airflow/system/blockMeshDict”
Creating block edges
No non-planar block faces defined
Creating topology blocks
Creating topology patches

Creating block mesh topology

Check topology

Basic statistics
Number of internal faces : 0
Number of boundary faces : 6
Number of defined boundary faces : 6
Number of undefined boundary faces : 0
Checking patch -> block consistency

Creating block offsets
Creating merge list .

Creating polyMesh from blockMesh
Creating patches
Creating cells
new cannot satisfy memory request.
This does not necessarily mean you have run out of virtual memory.
It could be due to a stack violation caused by e.g. bad use of pointers or an out of date shared library
Runtime error (PythonException):

Butterfly failed to run OpenFOAM command!
new cannot satisfy memory request.
This does not necessarily mean you have run out of virtual memory.
It could be due to a stack violation caused by e.g. bad use of pointers or an out of date shared library
Traceback:
line 51, in script

I don’t really have any knowledge in CFD simulation and only watched the tutorials and managed to get the sample files to work. So this time, I replaced the starting geometry my building which is a curve building, I wonder if that is the issue that caused this problem. Can anyone enlighten me on the issue?

Warm regards,

Annie

Building Creation_WIND.gh (461 KB)

Hi Annie,

You need to change memory settings in VM VirtualBox according to your hardware.

By default, it is 1 GB, and it is why it say that it cannot satisfy memory request for complex geometry.

Cheers.

Dear Federico,

I have changed the Motherboard option to 4GB and the Processor to 4 CPU, the same error persists.

Could it be other problems that might have caused this?

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Can you run the sample outdoor analysis file which came with the butterfly installation and see if you get any errors?

I was able to run that file without any errors. I have set the Virtual machine ram to 10GB.

Best,

Dear Ibby,

I could run the original sample file without any errors, even when I did not change my settings for the virtual machine.

I tried to change to 10GB, lower the tunnel params, and it still did not work.

The block mesh would stop halfway and my snappyhexmesh would not work as well.

Block Mesh stopping halfway:

docker-machine env
docker-machine env
Butterfly is running blockMesh. PID: None
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/>| ========= | |
| \/ M anipulation | |
Exec : blockMesh
Date : May 23 2017
Time : 06:45:55
Host : "default"
PID : 1412
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster (fileModificationSkew 10)

Create time

Creating block mesh from
"/home/ofuser/workingDir/butterfly/outdoor_airflow/system/blockMeshDict"
Creating block edges
No non-planar block faces defined
Creating topology blocks
Creating topology patches

Creating block mesh topology

Check topology

Basic statistics
Number of internal faces : 0
Number of boundary faces : 6
Number of defined boundary faces : 6
Number of undefined boundary faces : 0
Checking patch -> block consistency

Creating block offsets
Creating merge list .

Creating polyMesh from blockMesh
Creating patches
Creating cells
Creating points with scale 1
Block 0 cell size :
i : 4.992714 … 4.992714
j : 4.989322 … 29.93593
k : 2.137405 … 5

Snappyhexmesh error:

SnappyHexMeshDict.snap is changed from “true” to “false”.
saving the new snappyHexMeshDict.
docker-machine env
docker-machine env
docker-machine env
docker-machine env
Butterfly is running snappyHexMesh. PID: None
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/>| ========= | |
| \/ M anipulation | |
Exec : snappyHexMesh
Date : May 23 2017
Time : 06:47:44
Host : "default"
PID : 1643

Create time

Create mesh for time = 0
–> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Cannot find file “points” in directory “polyMesh” in times 0 down to constant

From function Foam::word Foam::Time::findInstance(const Foam::fileName&, const Foam::word&, Foam::IOobject::readOption, const Foam::word&) const
in file db/Time/findInstance.C at line 202.

FOAM exiting
Runtime error (PythonException):
--> snappyHexMesh Failed!
–> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Cannot find file “points” in directory “polyMesh” in times 0 down to constant

From function Foam::word Foam::Time::findInstance(const Foam::fileName&, const Foam::word&, Foam::IOobject::readOption, const Foam::word&) const
in file db/Time/findInstance.C at line 202.

FOAM exiting
Traceback:
line 110, in script

Heres an updated file

Building Creation_WIND.gh (461 KB)

Hi Annie,

THis is no longer a memory error. You need to either delete or purge the case folder and start over. It seems that your blockMesh has not created the points file which is located at constant/polyMesh folder. This could have happened because the blockmesh has not finished (if that is the whole log then blockMesh never finished). I would just clean everything and run the case again with the increased GB of memory. Make sure to take note of the total cells at the end of the blockMesh log.

Also, as a rule of thumb you can usually have a bit less than 1 million cells per 1GB of memory, although with modern operating systems you should set your max always a bit lower than your total memory.

Kind regards,

Theodore.