Closed volume for vaulted shape

Dear all,

I am writing to figure out how achieve a closed volume using vaulted spaces. I’ve tried with HB ROOM BY FACES and also HB ROOM BY BREP but it doesn’t work in both cases. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Angelo

TEST01.gh (38.7 KB)
TEST01.3dm (108.9 KB)

Hey @angelo.figliola ,

Thanks for posting. The planarization routines that run by default for non-planar Breps can get a lot of cases correct but they’re not infallible, especially in cases of high curvature and coarser tolerance like yours here.

I would recommend always using a room-based approach for such curved geometries instead of face-by-face because you can better preserve the closed solidity of the Brep when you use the whole room instead of hoping that the planarization of individual curved Faces gets everything to line up correctly. Second, if you’re not able to figure out why the geometry is closed by default, I recommend using the HB Planarize Brep component to perform the planarization of the Room volume instead of using the default planarization methods that run under the hood. Using this, I can see that the default planarization method leaves a few small sliver triangles that were too small to be recognized within the planarization routine but were just barely picked up by the Honeybee Room solidity check at the model tolerance:

Because they’re triangles and are always planar, you can just cap these sliver holes and this results in a valid Solid Honeybee Room:

planarize_dome.gh (64.3 KB)

Hope that helps.

Hey Chris,

Thanks a lot for your fast response and for the tips to solve the problem. I was also thinking to use CAP HOLES but I was not sure about the effects on the energy’s room. A simple question: why have you used a 89 as roof angle?

Thanks for helping!

HI @angelo.figliola ,

Capping the holes is perfectly acceptable and I’m actually thinking I may integrate this into the default planarization that runs under the hood if I find more cases of it popping up.

I set the roof angle to 89 because I was inferring that all of your dome was supposed to be classified as a Roof and have the same roof construction. If I had used the default roof angle of 60, then all of the triangles of the roof that were steeper than 60 degrees would be classified as Walls instead of Roofs.

1 Like