Corridors in a midrise or residential buildings

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Due to time constraints I was unable to search for all similar topics. However I believe this one may be informative for new and older energy modelers out there.

In the context of my thesis I am modeling a midrise office building with a quite residential plan (if i can say that). The building built in the 70s has a low level height and consists of a single core with the lifts and two staircases surrounding the core. The open space corridors adjust with service rooms, meeting rooms which are separated either with plaster walls or interior glazing to form meeting rooms. More info you can get from the diagram attached here.

My questions are the following:

1. How should the corridor surfaces be defined in order for Openstudio/E+ understand that open office, corridor, living room/reception (blue perimeter in diagram) are the same open space with same ventilation and light diffusion (for annual daylight analysis, point in time analysis e.t.c). I have drawn with red the surfaces that are pure air here. Should they be designed as a single space? How would it be possible to take into account the occupancy schedules then (the corridor is not crowded during the day, I guess)?
  2. Instead of using geometry for the columns I have just used plaster walls in the surfaces surrounding them, does this make an accurate estimate of the energy demands of the building?
  3. For the shafts (white perimeters) I have defined spaces without heating and cooling or ventilation is this accurate?
  4. The energy model is defined with solid rooms instead of surfaces for a typical floor, but the building consists of 22 levels (almost identical). Do you guys have a suggestion for a computationally feasible way to run the simulations for the whole building?
  5. Final question: When running an energy balance with Openstudio/E+ component does the simulation take into account the extra internal heat gains that result from solar radiation near large windows like those seen in the diagram (in green), should an extra radiation analysis be implemented in such a study to calculate these gains and the increase in the room temperatures annually?

Thank you for your time and support.

PS. I am sending another image for the spaces to get a better understanding of the spaces. Also the light clearly doesn’t reach the corridors.

1 Like

Hi @aleco17495, I don’t have answers to all of your questions but #1, the surfaces annotated in red, you would want to use and Construction:AirBoundary I believe. You can find the air construction and materials via the search construction / material components.
And here is some documentation on Construction:AirBoundary

Hopefully that’s helpful
-trevor

1 Like

Thank you Trevor for your reply! I will definitely check the link you posted and I will also prompt anyone trying to solve the 1st question to check this series by Philip Galvan that shows ways to define airwalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoH9I4oZc_k

and these discussions here:
https://discourse.ladybug.tools/t/set-interior-wall-as-airwall/20901

https://discourse.ladybug.tools/t/im-quite-confused-about-airwall-in-energyplus/12012

The rest of the questions remain however!
:slight_smile: