Create a context in HB v 1.1.0 for energy simulation

Hi all,

first, thank you LB team for creating such a beautiful plugin and for all the help and tutorials you provided so far!

I use Honeybee V.1.1.0 and I would like to create an energy model of a house with different typologies. The idea is to compare the energy performance of this house between different typologies: free-standing house, corner house, house in a row. These different typologies will have different performances based on the amount of façade which will be directly facing the exterior.

In former tutorials I saw that you have used the component “Honeybee EP Context Surfaces” (linked to “shades” of the HB model component) in order to add a context. I tried to do so, but the versions of HB don’t match and I cannot find a v1.1.0 of the context component. The component returns the error “1. Solution exception:Expected Shade. Got <type ‘Brep’>.”

Is there a new component I should use to convert these Breps in v 1.1.0?

Thank you!

Yes, there is. Look for HB_Shade in the Honeybee tag.
-A.

thank you for pointing me the correct component. I ran two different simulations:

typo 1) with the house as a corner building (next building is 5 meters away)

typo 2) with the house as a building in a row (the buildings touch each other)

The results show that typo 1 is consuming less energy for space heating than typo 2. This should be the other way around since typo 2 should have less heat losses (only 2 facades are directly linked to the exterior).

Here my questions:

1. Does the component HB shade only takes into account the shadings (so the solar gain is lower when we have typo 2)?
  2. Do I need to set “attached” to TRUE, for the two buildings that are directly connected to my house in order to lower my heat losses through the joint facades?

Not sure. Not sure it is the intention of the component regarding neighboring buildings.
What i would do is to set the touching walls as adiabatic.
-A.

In that case, would it make more sense to run a simulation for both the house and the “touching buildings” together and then look at the results for the rooms of my house only?

No. I wrote it wrong above. The adiabatic (boundary condition) walls belong to the house you want to simulate. The neighbors are just context.
-A.