Create a Modelica district network from URBANopt simulation created with Dragonfly

Hi @chris

I noticed that the simulation was running for quite a while (approximately 1.5 to 2 hours), so I decided to force-stop it. What’s puzzling to me is that I haven’t seen any pop-up window to download and install the geojson-modelica-translator and ThermalNetwork packages.

Maybe it’s something related to the Python version I’m using (3.12.1)? *

(*) Edited: I have used the “HB Check Versions” component and the Python version is 3.10.10.

Thank you.

How much RAM does you machine have? It’s possible that the routines that size the ground heat exchanger loop are eating all of your memory and taking a long time to complete as a result.

Hi @chris

My computer has 32 GB of RAM.

As I don’t get any pop-up terminal window when I run the GH script, I have also tried to manually download and install (via CMD prompt) the Python dependencies needed by the component (geojson-modelica-translator, ThermalNetwork and MBL 9.1.1 through Dragonnfly CLI), which successfully got installed. However, this approach doesn’t work either.

Hi @chris

I found the cause of the freezing issue during the ‘Generate DES Modelica Files’ step. Initially, I ran Rhino as an administrator and encountered this error. However, when I executed Rhino in normal user mode, it worked perfectly.

It appears that pop-up windows are requesting administrator privileges, which may have caused a conflict depending on the initial Rhino execution mode.

Thank you again for your time!

Thanks, @jordibrunet ,

Sorry for the late response, but yes, that makes sense. The first time that the DES component runs, it needs to install 3 different dependencies, each of which requires you to click "OK for 3 separate “Admin Privilege” popup windows.

After you do this the first time, you should not have to do it again until you upgrade. FYI, the latest development version of Dragonfly is now able to perform the whole Modelica simulation of the GHE DES if you have Docker installed. If you get the chance to test it, please let me know.

There’s a sample file here that shows the whole workflow.

Hi @Chris,

It works with the Docker container. We will analyse the results on the Open Modelica Interface and we will tell you something.

1 Like

Thanks for testing it so quickly, @Batiste . Glad that it all worked.

If you have any feedback about which Modelica simulation outputs you want to see usable in Grasshopper, I’ll take this into account. You can probably see that we don’t have anything at the moment to parse or visualize the results but we’ll be implementing some things once our subcontract with NREL gets renewed (hopefully in a few months). So the next few months are probably the best time to test and give feedback if you want to help shape the direction that we move in.

@chris the Modelica component throws a file not found error still. I think it has to do with a missing docker? is that a different download?

Hey @Mo ,

Yes, you need to have Docker Desktop installed on your machine in order to run any of the Modelica simulations. And you also need to have Docker Desktop open for the simulation to run.

I should also warn that the Modelica simulation can eat a lot of memory. I usually blow through almost all of my 32GBs of RAM when I run the simple sample file of a 5th gen system. So just be prepared that this is very much a “bleeding edge” capability.