I just wanted to share my experience performing 400 annual glare analysis on a monster 128-CPU server. So here it goes
1- The server is based on Amazon’s EC2 service. The server has 128 V-CPUs and 1.9 TB of RAM. I think I’m going to start a GoFundMe campaign to buy one for myself
2- The server’s cost is about $13 an hour. I get free access to supercomputer through my university and xsede.org because I earned an NSF Honorable mention last March, however, the supercomputers available through both resources are a little complicated for me to use, as opposed to the one available from amazon that has Microsoft server 2012 already installed.
3- I wanted to run 400 annual glare simulations for 400 different views.
4- I tried a to perform annual glare simulation for one view on my Dell XPS that has Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor and 16GB of system memory. The simulation took 2 hours to complete. Radiance parameter ab was set to 6.
5- I wanted to obtain the batch file for each view so I can run them on the server. So I used the fly component to run all 400 simulations and closed the cmd windows, that wasn’t bad ( for me at least) because I asked my son to this job for me, he was just glad to help me
6- I created one batch file using this cmd command:
dir /s /b *.bat > runall.bat
This created a file with the path to each .bat file. I edited this file in Notepad++ to include the word “start” at the beginning of each line. This was done using the “find and replace” dialogue box.
7- I split my newly created batch file into 3 batch files, each one has about 130 file names and " start" before the file names.
8- installed radiance on my server
9- Ran the first batch file on the server, this started 130 cmd windows performing my simulations, CPU usage was anywhere between 90% to 100% and about 105 GB of RAMs were used.
It took about 5 hours to complete all 130 simulations, I expected to run all in 2 hours but can’t complain because this would’ve taken about 260 hours to run on my laptop. After the simulations done I ran the second and then the third batch files ( total of about 15 hours).
I got 400 valid dgb files. Couldn’t be happier!