Customized ConstructionSet and HB Annual Loads

Hi everyone,
I have a question concerning the customized construction set and the HB Annual Loads component. In my case, I create Opaque materials for an Exterior Construction Subset and then connect it to a Construction set. I found out that the thickness of the Opaque materials affects the HB Annual Loads components. As you can see in these 2 pictures: Option 2 works fine while option 1 gives error.

The error reads:

1. Solution exception: ** Fatal ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.
    Do you know the reason for this problem?
    I am a new user so I can’t upload the file straight, please use this link:
    WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free
    BR,

Hi @VC171 ,

You should look at the report output of the EnergyPlus component, which says:

Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 23.1.0-87ed9199d4, YMD=2023.11.06 12:54,
   ** Severe  ** Duplicate name found for object of type "Material" named "B". Overwriting existing object.
   ** Severe  ** Duplicate name found for object of type "Material" named "C". Overwriting existing object.
   **  Fatal  ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.
   ...Summary of Errors that led to program termination:
   ..... Reference severe error count=2
   ..... Last severe error=Duplicate name found for object of type "Material" named "C". Overwriting existing object.
   ************* Warning:  Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).
   ************* Fatal error -- final processing.  Program exited before simulations began.  See previous error messages.
   ************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Terminated--Fatal Error Detected. 0 Warning; 2 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min  0.09sec

The issue does not really have to do with the thickness but the fact that you made two different materials with the exact same name/id. So EnergyPlus does not know which one to use. When you use option 2, this makes the materials identical to the other ones of the same name in your file, so there is no conflict:

If you are going to name your materials with such a generic name, you are better off just not plugging in a name at all, which will auto-generate a unique ID so that you don’t get this conflict.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @chris,
I should check the report to see the actual problem before making assumptions. I solved everything now. Please excuse my silly questions as a new user

BR,

1 Like